Upstate NY Babies

IL vent

I feel like my relationship with my in laws changed after we had kids. I'm sure this is common...but it really sucks. I feel like they are too smothering. I was talking to MIL last night (they are coming up at some point on Saturday to help DH's G'ma move and then come over here to watch the kids) and she said that they are just going to sleep on our couch so that we don't have to rush home. I don't want them sleeping on my couch....I want them to go to a hotel or back to DH's G'ma's, they have done both before. She was saying how excited she is because she hasn't seen them in sooooooooooo long. But it's like she omits every other visit in her memory, they were just here...aaaaaaaalllll day a couple of weeks ago. On a Sunday and stayed until after the kids went to bed. I hate having pans on Sunday nights...we like to relax and get ready for the week.

I used to have such a great relationship with them!! This is really bothering me...I just can't get over it. I get one day a week where DH does not go to work. I really, really resent them for coming up on that one day and staying all. day. long. Yes...of course they want to see their grandchildren. Maybe because my parents don't see them that often that I don't like such an imbalance? I don't know...I'm just dreading tomorrow instead of being happy that I get to leave the house.

Re: IL vent

• I'm sorry your inlaws dont have the sense to know when to leave...have you or dh ever said anything to them?

I hope they decide to crash elsewhere... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Maybe you should say something about the sleeping over part.  It would be nice for you and DH to have at least a little bit of time alone after the kids are in bed Sunday evening.

My parents like to come at least once a week.  I don't think they have ever gone more than 1 1/2 weeks without seeing Elizabeth (and that was due to sickness!).  But they live close by and will do short visits.

DH's parents hardly ever see Elizabeth and it makes me sad.  They only live an hour away, but the only times they see her is if we drive to them, or if we have an event at our house like Christmas that they come for.  But then when we do go see them, I have mixed feelings (even though I am usually the one pushing for the visit) because it is an all day event, and that is tiring.

I definitely think the length of a visit is a huge determination in how you feel about it.  Long visits are tough.

• Loading the player...
  • They are especially tough because I am nursing....and like to nurse in the recliner in the living room. When anyone is here I have to go to the back bedroom. Esp during the evening when Leah is so fussy at nursing because my supply sucks. So i can't just casually put a cover and stay out with everyone. Evan HATES when someone is behind a closed door - so he's crying, leah is fussing because we cant get comfortable...it's just a nightmare for me. DH doesn't seem to care, though. I tell him as soon as I am done nursing, I probably won't mind as much.

He also doesn't mind them staying. He thinks they are "too old" to be driving late...blah blah blah. He's the type to treat his parents like children. And my dear God - if he ever wants them to live with us I don't know what I would do. Get a job to pay for an assisted living place, probably. ; )

OH - and it is his birthday tomorrow....so I really am trying to "get over it" for his sake.

• It's such a tough call. I could understand why you're so frustrated but that free babysitting is a gem, ya know? Could you offer to pay for them to get a hotel as a "thank you" for babysitting... secretly just as a get-the-heck-out.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"