Natural Birth
Options

Is it overkill to use both Bradley and Hypnobabies?

Hello there!  I'm planning a VBAC (water birth) at a birth center.  My birth center offers Hypnobabies as part of the package.  I have a friend who is a provisional Bradley instructor, and we're thinking of learning that method as well.  Do you think that's overkill?  I guess I'm a little paranoid about one method not working and then having nothing to fall back on.  I had no way of dealing with the pain with my son, and I think that's one of the reasons why I ended up with a C-section.  Thoughts?

Re: Is it overkill to use both Bradley and Hypnobabies?

• Options
    So would you have to take classes for both? If so, it might be overkill only because of the scheduling and going to classes. Otherwise, I think it is fine because it would be nice to move to something else if the first thing isn't working.
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Options
    The hypnobabies people say not to use it with any other class...however, the woman that developed it was a bradley instructor before so there are a lot of similarities. Personally I didnt take the bradley class because it is too far away from us, but I read a lot of their materials and I am using things from each method that I think will work best for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageSweets2005:
    So would you have to take classes for both? If so, it might be overkill only because of the scheduling and going to classes. Otherwise, I think it is fine because it would be nice to move to something else if the first thing isn't working.

Our midwife will be giving us the Hypnobabies materials for us to work with at home.  Of course, if we need help, we can come in anytime.  But no formal classes.

We'd only be attending the Bradley classes. 

• Options

imageAllieJean:
    The hypnobabies people say not to use it with any other class...however, the woman that developed it was a bradley instructor before so there are a lot of similarities. Personally I didnt take the bradley class because it is too far away from us, but I read a lot of their materials and I am using things from each method that I think will work best for me.

Do you happen to know why they say not to use it with another method?  That's interesting. 

• Options

imageAllieJean:

this is what my hypnobabies stuff says too...hypnobabies is more of an "untraining" so there is different terminology for things, "pressure waves" instead of "contractions," etc, so I can see how they might conflict.  

i have never taken bradley classes, we took the general "prepared childbirth" hospital class for #1.

• Options
    Our Bradley instructor also taught Hypnobirthing so she kind of incorporated a little bit of Hypnobirthing into our classes.  I actually listened to a hynobirthing relaxation CD every night before bed and that helped me tremendously.  So taking elements from both methods worked great for me... I'm sure it could do the same for you!
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    imagespark&echo:

imageAllieJean:

Do you happen to know why they say not to use it with another method?  That's interesting. 

This is going to be long because im getting it right out of my HB book.
    It is much better to embrace Hypnobabies fully and not take in another course/method or try to use their techniques with your hypnobabies. ...your success will be much greater if your belief system includes using only hypno-anestesia and deep relaxation.

hospital preperation for childbirth classes- are geared toward their policies and teach a different/shallow breathing method. And they tell you how early you will "need" an epi.

natural childbirth classes- sometimes show videos of moms in pain moaning and crying, and this can frighten you and be confusing. This is why you shouldnt watch A Baby Story or similar shows anymore.

bradley classes- the relaxation and breathing techniques are limited when compaired to hypnobabies deep hypnosis. and all of those subjects and more are covered in the hypnobabies text

• Options
    gnomelygnomely member
    One of my MWs recommended doing both. She said Bradley was more important for us as a couple (mainly for my husband, so that he'd learn more information about labor and delivery), and that Hypnobabies would be more beneficial for me. I'm following her advice...we're in Bradley right now and I'm going to order some Hypnobabies home study material.
    DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • Options
    star173star173 member
    I read both books and took things from both methods. I found what worked best for me, and that was a blend of them both.
  • Options
    flyer23flyer23 member

I did Bradley classes with DD, and Hypnobabies home study with DS.

Really, the two methods are more alike than they are different. The main difference boils down to this: Bradley teaches how to manage the pain of labor. Hypnobabies teaches that labor (or "birthing time," as Hypnobabies calls it, to avoid the negative connotations of the word "labor") is pain-free.

For this reason, I would have had a VERY hard time doing Bradley classes with Hypnobabies. I called Hypnobabies my "brainwashing," because I had to wholeheartedly embrace the idea that labor would be easy, fast, and comfortable. I would not have been able to do that while simultaneously going to a class that talks about how to manage pain during labor.

The classes are almost identical as far as talking about staying low-risk (exercise and nutrition), the stages of labor, breastfeeding, etc., so I think either class will prepare you adequately from that perspective. The "homework" for both classes is almost identical (kegels, tailor sitting, squatting, pelvic raises), but Hypnobabies adds listening to the scripts.

They both CAN prepare your DH adequately to be a support person. My DH got a lot more out of Bradley classes than out of Hypnobabies, but I believe that's because we did Bradley CLASSES, rather than home study, like we did with Hypnobabies. He had no problem sitting through classes, but wasn't motivated enough to read the home study materials.

Anyway, I would suggest reading up on both of them and choosing ONE that "fits" you better. I much preferred the relaxation techniques from Hypnobabies to those offered by Bradley, but I think it's more demanding as far as not really leaving any room for doubts in your head. The moment you stop believing in your self-hypnosis, it stops working... and so if you anticipate that you may have a hard time believing, you may prefer Bradley.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options

i think the role your husband plays may help you decide.  from what i know, bradley is husband-coached and mine is so not the coach type.  so i've opted for hypnobabies, which is mostly on me, and hired a doula for the support for it.  if my husband really wanted to be involved more, i might've gone more towards bradley. 

also i felt like hypnobabies would help me more with anxiety and relaxation, and so far it has.

• Options
    I didn't take classes in either but read books on both.  I felt like they complemented on another.  Though that said I wasn't going all out with the hypnosis stuff, more just using the techniques to get and stay relaxed.
  • Options
    We did both but learned them at home. Hypno just didn't work for me. But overall knowing different things to keep it under control was what I needed.
  • Options

imagemeegie-lee:
    One of my MWs recommended doing both. She said Bradley was more important for us as a couple (mainly for my husband, so that he'd learn more information about labor and delivery), and that Hypnobabies would be more beneficial for me. I'm following her advice...we're in Bradley right now and I'm going to order some Hypnobabies home study material.

this. only from my personal experience. we did bradley with #1 and it was excellent - for my husband. it left me void of real techniques to use in birth. i defaulted to deep breathing on my own (which i later learned was the foundation for hypnobirthing) and took a hypnobirthing class for this baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think both methods compliment each other very well, and the more tools you have in your tool bag, so to speak, the easier a time you will have.  All knowledge is worth having.  That being said, if you're stressing yourself out over completing classes for both, and it's becoming this grueling effort, then obviously don't!  Maybe just take a class for one, and read the books for the other, and practice the exercises at home.  Happy mama, happy birth, that's my philosophy.
  • Options
    I don't think it is at all. It's just more tools. One may end up working better than the other. And I think they are complementary since Bradley is primarily about relaxing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I personally wouldn't combine them.

Bradley is more about working through pain and understanding it as "pain with a purpose".  Hypnobabies is trying to convince your mind that what it's feeling is *pressure*, not pain.  If you're easily succeptible to negative thoughts, Bradley can interefere with that reprogramming.

Also, in Hypnobabies, your coach's role is to protecrt you, keep people away from you and keep things super quiet.   They don't do much to you at all - in fact, I found anyone touching me/talking to me during pressure waves to be very distracting when I was trying to stay in hypnosis. 

With Bradley, your husband is very involved in talking you through or massaging you, holding you etc through every wave.  You could be different, but I would not have been able to make the two work together at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"