Secondary IF

Tell me about acupuncture..

I am thinking about throwing acupuncture into our fertility mix. I'm not scared of it but my hubby is. The clinic reccommends that both husband and wife be seen for maximum benefits. 

Has any one's hubby been treated? Did he like it? 
Also, how often in a cycle does your acupuncturist usually ask you to come? 
What is it like? 
Where does he usually stick most of the needles? (all over or mostly in 1 area?)
Are you asked to get down to only underwear?  
I asked about cost but just curious what do you pay? Does insurance cover any?

Our Girls
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
AquinnahDori
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Re: Tell me about acupuncture..

• We were diagnosed with MFI (low count, poor morph), so my husband did accupuncture before we did IVF. He went 3 months prior to our ER, once a week. The accupuncturist said that for best results men should go 3-6 mos prior. Honestly, it did not improve his numbers at all. Maybe he didn't go long enough, but who knows. Regardless, that was our first IVF and it was a success, so I'm not totally knocking it.

As for all the other questions...the needles were all over and he wore his boxers and T-shirt usually. It was $90 a pop and our insurance didnt cover any of it. My husband didnt mind it. He thought it was really relaxing. I never did accupuncture for fertility issues, but when I was pregnant I did it for migraines and it worked like a charm. I didn't really enjoy all the needles, but I was migraine free for the 2nd and 3rd trimester after getting them often in the 1st. Good luck!

• There's a lot of research (mostly with controled IVF) showing that indeed it DOES help to have some sort of needle therapy....however, a lot of the research shows that its not necessarily directly related to a specific KIND of accupuncture...meaning: "needles in skin = higher + IVF rates" but it doesn't matter who puts them in or where they go.

Just a nugget of knowledge.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did it a few times and found it very relaxing!!!!!! I also did yoga everyday too. Maybe it was the Metformin or the acu/yoga combo but I got pregnant 2 months after doing that so in my head I think it worked.

To answer your questions, hubby did not do it (his testing was all fine). My person had me come after AF was done and before ovulation.  She said she wanted to see me every week but I only went once a month since it was $$$$ (my insurance covered nothing for it).

I personally found it relaxing, it did not even hurt. The needles they use are as thin as a strand of hair.  I had needles all over (head, knees, ankles, feet, hands, arms, my ears)....I did not have to strip down to my underwear, just roll up my pants and shirt sleeves so I'd wear baggy clothes.

GL! 

Gabrielle & Ed - Married 10.22.05
    Mommy to Stephanie Lena - 2.13.07 and Evan Ralph - 9.23.10
    Angel Baby (m/c at 9 weeks) - 1.2.09

Christmas Card Picture - 2011
    (aka: the only picture I could get of them together that was not blurry and had them both sitting still!)

Click here for My Bio

The Stephanie Song...click here to listen!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Gabbs- I was hoping you would respond, how are you feeling? Any idea on the gender yet?

I booked an appointment with a lady today, she also does chinese herbal medicine. Was it you that was saying that they put something on the end of a needle and lit it on fire, or was that someone else?

I too an thinking/hoping the acupuncture and yoga helped you and so it has given me faith in trying it. Can't hurt, right?

Our Girls
    AquinnahDori
  • imagehoping4more:

Gabbs- I was hoping you would respond, how are you feeling? Any idea on the gender yet?

I booked an appointment with a lady today, she also does chinese herbal medicine. Was it you that was saying that they put something on the end of a needle and lit it on fire, or was that someone else?

I too an thinking/hoping the acupuncture and yoga helped you and so it has given me faith in trying it. Can't hurt, right?

I miss my acupuncture!!! I would still be going but it's expensive....I treat myself to a prenatal massage instead....it's the same price! tomorrow is the big u/s....I find out then!

Nope it was not me who mentioned anything being lit on fire! That sounds a bit scary to me!!

No it can't hurt, it will make you more healthy and in tune with your body though (well the yoga part)....I still do prenatal yoga now, the back pain started early and it sucks! 

Gabrielle & Ed - Married 10.22.05
    Mommy to Stephanie Lena - 2.13.07 and Evan Ralph - 9.23.10
    Angel Baby (m/c at 9 weeks) - 1.2.09

Christmas Card Picture - 2011
    (aka: the only picture I could get of them together that was not blurry and had them both sitting still!)

Click here for My Bio

The Stephanie Song...click here to listen!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Glad to hear you are doing okay, sorry about the back pain. 

Please please let us know if it6 is a boy or girl. I'm betting girl. Good luck tomorrow! 

Our Girls
    AquinnahDori
  • JMayJMay member

I was treated for 8 months or so before I got PG with DD, and I don't think I would have gotten PG without it.  (I also took herbs and vitamins).

Has any one's hubby been treated? Did he like it?  My DH was not treated - the problem is all me.  I was not treated specifically "to get PG" but rather, to get into the best health, so that a PG would be possible.  I was "balanced", so to speak - The doctor worked on balancing my hormones. I think this is a typical "holistic" approach.

Also, how often in a cycle does your acupuncturist usually ask you to come?  I went once a week for 8 months. I had no "cycle" to speak of at the time.

What is it like?  I was SO nervous, but my doctor was great.  It's ESSENTIAL that you have good energy between you and the doctor.  If there is negativity, it can affect the treatment.  The first appointment, he talked to me at length about my medical history, what I wanted for treatment, etc.  He then developed a plan for me.  I had my first treatment that same day.  I lay flat on a table, as if I was going to get a face-up massage.  He turned on some beautiful asian-classical type music, placed the needles, turned off the lights and left me in pease for 45 minutes or so.  It was very, very relaxing.  I usually fell asleep - I describe it as more rejuvenating than a full body massage.  I wish I had the money to do it now!

Where does he usually stick most of the needles? (all over or mostly in 1 area?) I had needles all over.  Between the toes, hands, abdomen, etc.  You really shouldn't feel them.  If you find that one causes pain, you can tell him to reposition the needle. I always felt pain in the one near my thumb, and he'd fix it for me.  I also found out the I have a VERY senstive third eye - it didn't hurt at all but I felt the sensitivity of the area. 

Are you asked to get down to only underwear?  I think I had my bra on as well, but I was covered by a hospital type gown as well, so just like the obgyn, they only expose what they need.

I asked about cost but just curious what do you pay? Does insurance cover any? My insurance at the time did cover it partially - I paid $15 of the $80 per-visit charge.  Then I changed insurance and just paid OOP.  I was also seeing a nutritionist at the same office, she was also 1x/wk for $80 a session. I only saw her for about 2 months, to develop and get with the program. aLways paid for that OOP.

If you have the chance to try it, I HIGHLY recommend it.  If $ is an issue, you can check and see if there is a school of Eastern/Oriental medicine in your area - sometimes the students who are about to graduate provide services for much less, to gain expereince.  They are supervised by the professors.  Also, check into the practitioner thoroughly.  A good one can work wonders, and a bad one can do great damage.  The doc I saw was both a doctor of oriental medicine and an American MD - he was the chief of alternative medicine at a local hospital.  Call around, ask around, and most importantly, find someone with whom you "click".  If you do it, let us know how it goes!!! GL!

Doriimage

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"