1st Trimester

OB just called: TSH is low

meaning I have hyperthyroidism. I have never had any thyroid problems, adn neither has anyone in my family. She said she's gonna check more thyroid tests next visit and if they are off, send me to an endocrinologist. But she said it's common in pregnancy (1st tri)...didn't happen with DD though. Anyone else??
Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: OB just called: TSH is low

• I had this happen with my last pregnancy.  My TSH actually fell below 0.01, meaning that I basically had none.  My other numbers (T3 and whatever else they test) got all wacky too.  I lost a lot of weight very quickly.  My ob said pregnancy will often bring on hyperthyroidism and that it normally fixes itself by the end of the first trimester.  When I had mine retested at 13 weeks it still wasn't better so I was referred to an endocrinologist.  I lost my pregnancy a week later (not related to the hyperthyroidism) so I'm not sure what the plan would have been.  There is medication for it but from what I've read finding the right dosage can be tricky.  Chances are your hyperthyroidism will resolve itself.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Did they tell you your TSH level? my RE put me on Synthroid since my levels were off a little for pregnancy purposes. i am now down to 2.9 (they want it under 2 for a pregnancy). In terms of regular health my levels were fine, but not for fertility. When they first tested me I was at 3.3

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • g8orellg8orell member
    She said my TSH is 0.35, which when I look up the range, seems normal??
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in March and my TSH levels were 10.29, so I couldn't get pg then. At my first visit to my endocrinologist, my levels are now at 2.5 and both this doc and my ob said that those levels were good. I'm on 50 mcg of Synthroid and I haven't adjusted my dosage b/c they do not want my levels to drop to hyperthyroidism.

The ranges depend on the doctor. A primary care physician will go by one set of numbers, ob can go by another set and an endocrinologist another range. You'll probably go on Synthroid or another type of medication to level you out, but it will resolve itself. Being hypothryroid does not resolve itself :( 

Joseph Michael - 12/22/2010
    5lbs 9 oz, 18.5 inches long
    6 months: 16lbs 15 oz, 27 inches long

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageg8orell:

I think some docs use a reference range starting with 0.3 and others 0.5 so you are just on the lower end of normal.  She probably just wants to retest it to make sure it doesn't drop further down and to check your other levels as well.

Just an fyi, you would not be put on synthroid since that is for HYPOthyroidism.  People get hyper and hypo easily confused. 

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• And free T4 is also important to know. 
    Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • g8orellg8orell member
    imageitsmevkb:

imageg8orell:

I think some docs use a reference range starting with 0.3 and others 0.5 so you are just on the lower end of normal.  She probably just wants to retest it to make sure it doesn't drop further down and to check your other levels as well.

Just an fyi, you would not be put on synthroid since that is for HYPOthyroidism.  People get hyper and hypo easily confused. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. When I go back in, she's gonna check T3, T4, TPO, antithyroglubin, etc. And yes, you can use Synthroid for both hypo and hyperthyroidism, although not for my levels. I'm a PA (physician assisant)...it is confusing b/c the thyroid works as a negative feedback loop. Ughhh...memories...I always HATED endocrine!!! My cousin is an endocrinologist, so I'm gonna check with her and see what she says about my levels.

• RHitchRHitch member

This happened to me when I was pregnant with DD.  I saw an endocrinologist every month throughout my pregnancy (bloodwork and then a consultation), but was never prescribed any medication.  Everything went back to normal after I had my baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"