D.C. Area Babies

ack - ? about power outage and frozen milk

We live in a condo building and (for some reason) they're turning off the power to the entire building for four hours next week. That wouldn't normally be a big deal, but I finally have a bunch of milk in the freezer! I'm worried it's going to thaw and all go to waste. Any ideas? So far the options I'm considering are: 1) keep it closed in the freezer and hope for the best, 2) put it all in a cooler with a bunch of ice packs, or 3) take it to my dad's and stick it in his freezer. Or maybe my work freezer? Nah . . . that would be too weird I think.

Help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: ack - ? about power outage and frozen milk

• Definitely number 1.

We lost power for 24hrs in the fall and didn't open our garage freezer and when the power was back on, everything was still completely frozen - not thawed at all! I had over 1000oz of BM in there so I can relate, and I had no warning so I was definitely panicking and praying! I'm nearly certain that 4hrs will be no big deal whatsoever.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageUseonfire:

Definitely number 1.

We lost power for 24hrs in the fall and didn't open our garage freezer and when the power was back on, everything was still completely frozen - not thawed at all! I had over 1000oz of BM in there so I can relate, and I had no warning so I was definitely panicking and praying! I'm nearly certain that 4hrs will be no big deal whatsoever.

1000oz! That's amazing! My stash seems paltry by comparison . . .

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • Could you put the milk inside of a cooler or insulated lunch bag with ice packs and then put it inside your freezer just in case?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Make sure your freezer is packed full.  If not, you can fill water bottles (not to the top so when they freeze they don't explode) to take up the extra space.  A packed freezer is suppossed to be good or 48 hrs, not packed is good or 24 hrs as long as you aren't opening it up...I think I just read that in Cooking Light.
  • I think if it's only 4hrs you'll be OK

however, I did leave a bunch of BM in the work freezer all the time (in Mother's room, not in my office fridge). Maybe store some from now until the power outage just as a back-up. Put it in a container and no one will care (even if it's your office freezer).

• QueSrahQueSrah member

Your freezer should stay plenty cold for 4 hours, but if it makes you feel less panicky, you could always take it to your dad's or your work freezer in an unassuming box (like a shoe box) or a random insulated bag to hide what it is.

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"