North Carolina Babies

no cry sleep help?

can anyone recommend a book/method to help ds sleep better that involves the least amount of crying?

ds's crib is in our room and we usually rock him to sleep and then once he wakes up he comes in bed with us.  i don't mind the rocking part and i don't mind the sleeping in our bed part, but we just need him to sleep better overall.  any advice would be appreciated!

the main problem is that once he wakes up, he stands right up in his crib and jumps up and down crying.  so.... any tips on breaking this??  this happens during naps, bedtime, you name it.  he could be out cold while rocking him and then 10 seconds after putting him down he will stand right up and start the temper tantrum.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: no cry sleep help?

• JenSheaJenShea member
    He cries because he knows you will just pull him into bed with you! I can't help you on the no crying part since we did Ferber but I'd say you either need to keep him in the crib ALL the time or bring him in your bed after rocking the first time... It would be helpful if he could put himself back to sleep too. Good luck!
  • at what age did you do ferber? how quick did it work for you? 

i'm not completely opposed to trying it, but i need to read his book first.

• Loading the player...
  • JenSheaJenShea member
    We started at 4 months but took it really slow (like 3 days on each interval). I read the book cover to cover before starting.
  • We tried all sorts of sleep training, I read several books, Feber, Sleep Easy Solution, etc. and none of them worked for us. We finally just gave up and came to the conclusion that she will sleep through the night and soothe herself back to sleep when she was ready. It took awhile, but she has finally caught on. she doesn't STTN every night, but I'd say at least 4 out of 7 nights she does. This worked for us as I just couldn't do the CIO stuff.
  • We did a combo of Ferber, Happy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (or whatever it's called) and Sleeping Through the Night.  We started at 6 mos with sleep training and it worked well for us.  We picked and chose what fit for us and what seemed to make sense for our family.  I know what you mean about no cry sleep help but I am not opposed to CIO.  Not to sound like a smarty pants but CIO can actually result in less crying than other methods--they learn quickly and while there may be lots of crying at first, it extinguishes (usually) within a few nights if you stay consistent.
    Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i'd be happy with like 4-5 hours in a row lol.  at this point we're lucky to get 2-3 hours in a row.  on rare occasion we get 4-5. 
  • There is a book called "The No Cry Sleep Solution".  My advice would be to check a few sleep books out from the library, read through them, get a feel for what you're comfortable with and what you think might help DS, and go from there.

Probably one thing you'll need to work on is putting him down awake so that he can learn to put himself to sleep.  It sounds like he needs you to help him get back to sleep each time he wakes (a problem we also had with Liam).  The No Cry Sleep Solution suggests putting him down drowsy but awake, and gradually more awake each night as he gets more comfortable with it.  I tried this with Liam, but he was too high strung for it, and we ended up having to do some CIO.

Another book I really liked was Sleeping Through the Night, which flamencogal recommended.  It incorporates some CIO but in a more gradual and less strict manner than some of the other books.

GL!

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"