Adoption
Options

Did you add exclusions to your contract?

Did you had any exclusions or situations that would give you an "out", for example, if the baby is born with Trisomy (the very fatal one)?

I know you get to be specific on how open you are to things like drug/alcohol exposure etc, but what about other things?  And what about Down's Syndrome?  I hate to discriminate but I think in my case, being someone that will have to continue working, I don't think I could offer a down syndrome child the care and attention they would need to prosper.

Just curiuos if any of you had any kind of exclusions that would give you an out of the match after the baby was born. TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Did you add exclusions to your contract?

• Options

No need to with our agency.  We checked "No" on the special needs box.  That means that even though, for example, we said we'd accept a birthmom who took cocaine 1-4 times during the first tri, if the baby is born with disabilities, we have the option of not accepting the placement. 

• Options

Yes.  Our agency contract says that we can change our mind if at birth it is discovered that the baby has a "non-correctable medical condition, including, but not limited to down syndrome, congenital heart defects, cerebral palsy, fetal alcohol syndrome, chromosomal abnormalities, sickle cell anemia, or any other abnormality deemed by the pediatrician selected by the clients to be non-correctable."  

This was my worst fear and I don't know what we would have done.  I felt like he was already our son before he was born, so that would have been such a heartbreaking situation. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did IA so I know it's different but we did have certain exclusions regarding situations we didn't feel equipped to parents.  That just meant that we were not shown those situations.  In your case I would talk to your agency and see what support and options they offer you.  They're on your side and supposed to be working for you so I would ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"