Special Needs

Educate me please: tube in the stomach?

There is a lady have enjoyed talking to several times at the pool that has a son with DS.  He is 4.5, close in age to my DD, so they play together.  He has a tube coming out of his torso with a cap on it below his rib cage and above his navel.  I am afraid that DD might hurt him in the pool or try to hug him and hurt it (She can be a bit overly friendly and he is a pretty friendly kid too). 

Anyone know what this is, and if I need to watch to make sure she doesn't hug him or push on it?  

I know this post is lame.  Thank you for your help.

Re: Educate me please: tube in the stomach?

• This is a feeding tube, called a G-tube or GJ-tube, depending on what type it is. The tubes can come out, but parents should be educated on how to put it back in. I wouldn't worry about your daughter harming it or hurting the child. Most kids live with the tubes for long periods of time and they are not painful unless pulled out or tugged on.

My son has a GJ-tube and sometimes even tugs on it himself. If you are really worried about it I would talk to the mother of the child and see what her thoughts are.

Hope this helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto mskolman. Those things are made so that they don't just pop up with the slightest little pull - otherwise that would be a real problem! Your daughter should play with the boy just like he is anyone else! And the mom should know how to put the tube back in if it comes out. The kids like to pull on them themselves sometimes, or sometimes they get caught on something, etc. 
  • Loading the player...
  • ditto the others. It's pretty secure. What you describe sounds like the type of button my son has (MicKey) and it's very easily replaced in the unlikely event that it did come out. My son is 2 and yanks on his all the time, or just fiddles with it. And I obviously hug my son all the time, we rough house. He goes to daycare. Normal kid stuff. Just has an extra belly button.
  • Thanks ladies!  I won't worry about it, and will enjoy having them play together. 
  • Ditto what Tricia said. I have a pic of DS with his g-tube (mic-Key button) in my sig.

They are replaced very easily, but can come out with enough work at it. My DS slides down the slide in the backyard on his stomach and I cringe everytime, but so far, so good. (with hard work) He pulls it out fairly often, but it's easily replaced and most of the time the balloon on the end is still good so I just deflate it and pop it back in, refill, and we're good.

I wouldn't worry. Play and have fun.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"