Postpartum Depression
Options

Anyone use Wellbutrin?

My dr prescribed Wellbutrin for my depression/anxiety feelings and I wanted to know about others experience with it especially while bfing...

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone use Wellbutrin?

• Options
    Yes, I went on it in January.  My dr said that it's safe to use while bfing.  I do feel as though I need to call him to discuss whether my dosage is sufficient or if I need something else too.  I'm just feeling really blah.  This is my first post to the PPD board, I was really hoping to avoid it.
  • Options
    How did it work for you in the beginning and how long did it take for you to start feeling better?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm really bad about taking it, to be honest.  During pregnancy I was on so many meds and it seemed as though the wellbutrin caused a lot of nausea and then I'd get into a cycle of vomitting/dehydration.  That's gone now, but I'll be the first to admit I need to be better about taking it.  I've been on it in the past and I remember it working well.  It took a few weeks before I started to feel, "good," but even having it in my system, (though not regularly,) I think I'm better off then if I wouldn't have had it.  The only other weird symptom that I seem to have is sweating. 

When did you start it?  Good luck to you!  Maybe being on this board will help me remember to take my meds daily.

• Options
    I just got it today ... still weighing on whether to start taking it. All I know is that I'm just crying all the time for no apparent reason and I hate it. I want to try to get through what I'm hoping is just "baby blues" on my own, but I'm not sure that will happen. I'm afraid of the initial effects of the anti-depressant...
  • Options
    If I were you, I'd give it a try.  I think the crying is worse then the side effects.  You may take it and decide differently, but I'd recommend giving it at least a solid month unless the side effects are too much.  If that's the case talk to your dr, perhaps another prescription of a different antidepressant.  I also do acupuncture for a variety of things.  It definitely helps in terms of depression.  
  • Options

I have been taking wellbutrin throughout my pregnancy, and intend to keep taking it pp while bfing. It has been a lifesaver for me, and fortunately hasn't had too many side effects, and the few side effects that it did have were not bad and went away after a few months.

It took me a little while to start feeling better though, probably 6 weeks, and it took another 4-6 months to feel truly "normal" (meaning that I felt great, no longer had any side effects, etc). At first it made me a little speedy/jittery and I had serious appetite loss (which is a positive for some) but it eventually faded.

Another good thing is that if it does not end up working for you, it doesn't have the horrendous withdrawal effects that many SSRIs have.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"