South Florida Babies

question for those in 2 story houses

My parents have a 2-story house and the bedrooms are upstairs.  Now that alexis is capable of climbing out of the crib, my mom wants to babyproof.  What do you do?  If you have a gate at the top of the stairs what kind is it and are you worried about them climbing over that?  Also - do you have a pet and what do you do with them?
image image

Re: question for those in 2 story houses

• we have two gates...one at the top of the stairs and one at the entrance of her room. she roams freely from our room to hers if we are upstairs with her while the gate to the top of the stairs is locked. when we are sleeping the gate to her room is closed as well as the top of the stairs gate. im not worried about her climbing it because she has to climb on top of something to actually jump over it, and when we baby proofed the stairs we took out all possible objects she can climb on top of.

we have this one mounted to the stairs and not mounted to her room:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/9990000002362912&imgrefurl=https://www.mysears.com/Safety-1st-Perfect-Fit-Gate-reviews&usg=__6q5MMW02AUpojzI3CcEuGLkqVEc=&h=247&w=274&sz=6&hl=en&start=5&itbs=1&tbnid=Am3WsG7oOeaC0M:&tbnh=102&tbnw=113&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsafety%2Bfirst%2Bgate%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

we also have this one, but our walls do not support its weight, we never returned it though because we threw away the box. https://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09117a.jpg

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've thought about this myself but I can tell you the my SIL has a gate on top of stairs and at the bottom that detaches. Same safety 1st she posted link above for. I was even considering (if the time ever came around for us) to install one of the walk through sensors that beeps. Kind of like what the stores have that chimes and annoys you. Well Home Depot sells them and you can manually set it to turn off and on at nights. Worth the investment in my opinion.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCesEve99:

we have two gates...one at the top of the stairs and one at the entrance of her room. she roams freely from our room to hers if we are upstairs with her while the gate to the top of the stairs is locked. when we are sleeping the gate to her room is closed as well as the top of the stairs gate. im not worried about her climbing it because she has to climb on top of something to actually jump over it, and when we baby proofed the stairs we took out all possible objects she can climb on top of.

we have this one mounted to the stairs and not mounted to her room:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/9990000002362912&imgrefurl=https://www.mysears.com/Safety-1st-Perfect-Fit-Gate-reviews&usg=__6q5MMW02AUpojzI3CcEuGLkqVEc=&h=247&w=274&sz=6&hl=en&start=5&itbs=1&tbnid=Am3WsG7oOeaC0M:&tbnh=102&tbnw=113&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsafety%2Bfirst%2Bgate%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

we also have this one, but our walls do not support its weight, we never returned it though because we threw away the box. https://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09117a.jpg

forgot to mention that the gate that is not mounted to mady's room is also the one we use downstairs to block the entrance of the stairs when we are downstairs. a couple weeks back i was downstairs and washing dishes, i forgot to lock the bottom of the stairs and before i knew it mady was calling me from her bedroom! she went upstairs all by herself without my knowing. thankfully that experience didnt turn into a tragedy.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a 2-story house and no gates on the stairs. Quinn knows not to go down the stairs alone and I'm such a clumsy pregnant lady that DH and I were worried about me having issues with the gate. Quinn doesn't get out of his bed at all during the night and we keep a monitor on and the door closed (we flipped the lock to the outside) so he doesn't leave his room and calls us when he needs us. We DO have a gate downstairs in our foyer that keeps Quinn and our dogs in the kitchen, sunroom, great room area so that no one goes upstairs or in our dining room and living room alone where there are breakables. So far it has worked but we will likely put a gate in the hallway upstairs to block the bathroom and the stairs after baby 2 is born.

• Hey! We have two gates: one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom. Both are hardware mounted (not pressure mounted), but they're not the same gate. L can't climb over either; he's not tall enough. On the bottom one, he'll try to stand on the bottom part, but even then he's not tall enough and has never tried climbing over. I guess thinking about it now, he could always go and get the "banquito" in his bathroom and take it to the stairs but he's never tried to... great. Got to look into that now. We usually close and lock all the doors upstairs except for his and our rooms. That way, if he gets out of his bed at night (which he usually doesn't) he can only go into one room. Good luck! Stairs are scary! L did what Maddy did and it scared the crap out of me!
  • We only have a gate at the bottom of the stairs not upstairs. We are switching to a toddler bed this weekend and we are not afraid of L fallind down the stairs because we lock his bedroom at night so he can't come out. We put one of those baby proofing things that goes on the door knob so he cannot get out of his room. We also taught DS how to go down the stairs by sitting and scooting, as opposed to walking, and he is a pro at it (he can also go up the stairs walking no problem).
  • I have a 2 story townhouse. We used a gate at the bottom of the stairs when Max was younger. Now we dont use anything, we just taught him not to climb the stairs. Seriously, he could play downstairs all day, and never even think to venture upstairs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just wanted to add that L knows how to climb the stairs up and down very well. He usually does it (now) on his own with me close behind it (I've fallen down the stairs and it freaks me out). But we have tile (on 1st floor) and wood on stairs, so that's different than carpet. I think if I had carpet I might not be as freaked out about the stairs... just another thought.
  • I guess I'm the lax stairs mommy on the board.  Our stairs are carpeted and now that she can go up and down them without a problem, we don't have a gate on them at all.  She is still in a crib and we might reevaluate when she's in a bed so she can't get out of her room or accidentally fall down the stairs.  I was planning just to put a gate at her door when she is in a bed.  She can go up and down the stairs whenever she wants. 

Any safety hazards are babyproofed.  I still use the monitor in her room and can hear everything downstairs.  The only reason she usually goes upstairs on her own is to get her bunny and then brings it right back down.  She's also not a very adventurous child - she knows to scoot down the stairs on her butt and doesn't walk down them.  She walks down other stairs on playgrounds and such, but scoots in our house.  

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The gate I have at the top of the stairs mounts to the wall and has a hinge like a door. The slats are vertical, so there is nothing for him to get leverage with and climb over.  I believe it is the Safetly 1st gate they sell in BRU.

When Nicky gets out of bed at night, he runs straight for our bedroom.  He has never tried to open the gate or climb over it.  I mostly keep it closed because I am afraid of him stumbling down the hall in a half-asleep, disoriented state and accidentally falling down the stairs. During the day I keep it open because he is good at going up and down the stairs by himself.

• Thanks for asking this!

we just moved in saturday to a two story

and abby can climb up the stairs no problem and we were wondering what to do

i noticed nobody reponded about pets - i have a cat and worry how she is going to get around the gate

she is old and i dont think she can jump 

anyways, thanks for all the responses - very helpful 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"