South Florida Babies

Question 3. How much of everything is good to have on hand....

when you bring them home? 

I have a bunch of diapers thanks to our storing of some in advance and some packs that friends have given us. We have Pampers and Huggies so if one doesn't work then we have the other. We also have a ton of wipes, diaper cream, baby powder etc. So I'm assuming there will be enough there for at least 2 weeks. We have about 70 NB diapers and about another 200+ in size 1.  

I tried to be pretty good about not over buying any particular size and my family did the same. they actually bought no NB or 0-3 clothes all bigger sizes. We got about 3-4 small outfits at our shower but our friends and family stuck to the registry which was sweet. Right now we have about 25-30 onesies, 4 footed PJ's/gowns, 4 side snap tees, and 4 going out of the house outfits in NB/0-3 months. Along with anout 5 PJ's in 3 months. We keep our house fairly cool at night so I'm thinking we may need some more footed PJ's? I have no idea how often they are changed during the day and I'm hoping to not have to do laundry more than once a week.

TIA!

TTC #1 May/June 2008
CP 7.19.08
Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
TTC #2
HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww

Re: Question 3. How much of everything is good to have on hand....

• I am a month behind you and I have nothing nothing nothing prepared!lol

If your child likes to be swaddled (both by boys were) there is no need for many footed pj's.

If you don't plan on doing much laundry, make sure to keep some oxi clean on hand so you can soak the stained clothes until you wash them (baby poop stains badly!).

Honestly, it seems you have enough stuff. make sure to not open any diapers before you actually need them. I had took plenty of diapers from the hospital that I never needed to buy any.

• imageVandRicky:

I am a month behind you and I have nothing nothing nothing prepared!lol

If your child likes to be swaddled (both by boys were) there is no need for many footed pj's.

If you don't plan on doing much laundry, make sure to keep some oxi clean on hand so you can soak the stained clothes until you wash them (baby poop stains badly!).

Honestly, it seems you have enough stuff. make sure to not open any diapers before you actually need them. I had took plenty of diapers from the hospital that I never needed to buy any.

1st- V... well, you've done this twice before, lol  i'm pertty sure you feel somewhat comfortable!!  i didn't prepare as ocd-ly as I did with Abby the 2nd time lol

2nd- exactly what V said!  don't open diapers until the baby is born, and if you're swaddling, no need for footy pjs.  you can always put socks on!  i think you're pretty good with clothes, besides, lots ofp eople bring gifts to the hospital when the baby is born, so you can always tell the moms to drop hints that the baby needs more newborn clothes when he's born!

baby powder and diaper rash cream lasts a loooooong time, so don't fret about that, either. 

DO make sure you have buckets of hand sanitizer in the beginning!  And put a pump right next to the baby, so that if anyone wants to pick him up, they're able to clean their hands right away!  We went through so many pumps of sanitizer, we still keep it in each bedroom so we can use it before and after each diaper change.

• Loading the player...
  • Emma never took to swaddling, so I went through a lot of long-sleeved, footed PJs (esp. since she was born in what felt like the coldest winter in the history of Florida!). She didn't spit up very often and she was never one to have a big poop explosion or pee through her diaper, so I was usually able to keep her in the same onesie or peejay all day long without having to change her. Every baby is different, though...you won't really know until Jose is born what you will need. That's why I think it's good to underestimate what you need...you can always go and buy more of whatever you need. That, or keep the tags on everything or leave them unopened and keep receipts so you can return them if you don't use them. Chances are you're not going to run out of anything super important in the matter of a few hours, so you will always have time to send Alexis or someone else out the next day to do a quick Target run for you in case you're missing some essentials. And there's always 24/7 pharmacies that will be open whenever if you have a true emergency and need a specific item.

One thing - I had barely any newborn sized clothes because I was convinced Emma would never fit into it since Gaby and I both weighed over 9 lbs. in birth. Well, not only was newborn size the only thing that fit her at birth (she was 7 lbs., 14 oz., so not even a particularly small baby), but I spent her entire 1st month recycling the same handful of newborn-sized onesies and pajamas over and over again because I was convinced she would grow out of them too quickly! 0-3 months didn't end up fitting her well till she was like a month and a half more. I wish I had just bought a few more newborn outfits when I saw how big the 0-3 stuff was on her.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • So much of it comes as you go (it's a big science experiment!). I had a ton of footed pjs and didn't use any of them because C liked to be swaddled and got really hot at night. I feel bad that she has clothes she will never wear because it just doesn't work with how she functions.

You should have a few newborn and 0-3 outfits just in case, but like Jen said, keep the tags on them and, if you don't need them, you can just return them. It's sooo hard to figure out what you need before the baby gets here. 

• JUST MY 2 cents~I found it convienent to have a baby wipe box , hand sanitizer and a tissue box in every room of the house. NOT OCD but there are SO handy for any little spill and if you have the baby wipes in arms reach you are better off especially if the baby is nursing or the bottle leaks a little bit or sleeping etc....

1 in each bathroom, we use them for oursleves...so fresh and so clean..:)

1 in each bedroom

1 on the kitchen table

and 1 in the family room where we "live"

HTH

Nicole MOM 2 MARIO & NICOLAS
  • Seems like you've got it all- the only thing I'd add is more pj's! At first we used the gowns which made middle of the night diaper changes a breeze & then moved into footed pj's (make sure they ZIP & not button- you don't want to deal with that @ 2am!) Nadia was a big time spitter & some nights I had to change her pj's 2 or 3 times!
  • Mrs.CHDMrs.CHD member
    I think your set Tine! I would probably add just a few more footed PJs, but I agree with Mari try to get the ones that zip instead of button. In the past few days I've learned trying to get a squirming baby back it an outfit while trying to button is like a circus act. Like V and Jen said do not open diapers until you need them. Andrew was such a big baby that he can't fit into the newborn packs of diapers I opened. He already wears size 1. I usually can keep him in the same outfit for the day. I go through more bibs than outfits.
  • imageMariM:
    Seems like you've got it all- the only thing I'd add is more pj's! At first we used the gowns which made middle of the night diaper changes a breeze & then moved into footed pj's (make sure they ZIP & not button- you don't want to deal with that @ 2am!)

This for us as well. Also it took me a couple of weeks of changing Nico's clothing various times a day before I realized that you always have to make sure his penis is pointed down before fastening the diaper. Otherwise, you get urine leaking out of the top and sides.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"