Preemies
Options

Preemies with PDA

ayramayram member

Little Isaac was born at 27w 3d with a large murmur.  THey treated him with two rounds of ibuprofin but it did not close up.  Since he is asymptomatic, they are leaving it for now, but I don't know what they will do/when they will do it.  I'm hopfully speaking with the cardiologist on Wednesday, but I am wondering if there is anyone there who has been through this- where the medication did NOT close up the PDA.  Thanks!

M

Mom to 4 boys under age 6 Evan, Darren, Liam & Isaac

Re: Preemies with PDA

• Options

hi! my little 24 weeker didn't respond to the drugs and had to have surgery at 27 weeks (1lb 14oz)... it won't help, but the docs say it is THE most common surgery they do. They go in under the back right shoulder blade - through the ribs to clamp it off, it took about an hour, my little girl has a half inch scar below her shoulder blade and recovered very quickly...

best of luck to your little one!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers After 19.5 weeks in the NICU - our little 24 weeker is home!
  • Options
    Hi! Both Charlie and Lily had good sized PDAs and, same as Isaac, were treated with two rounds of ibuprofin that did not close the PDA. The doctors left it alone and by the time they left the NICU the murmur was barely audible. We went back to the cardiologist about 2 months after they left the NICU and the PDAs were completly closed on both of them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS has a PDA.  At my hospital they routinely closed them at 3 days so that is when he had his surgery.  It was a very quick and simple surgery.  They sedated him, made an incision right below his shoulderblade and placed a clip to seal the valve.  The whole surgery was less than 45 min. 
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options

Bobby had a very large PDA that didn't close at first with 2 rounds of treatment.  Like PP, though, after a bit, it did end up closing on its own. 

We did get a bit worried when he came down with pneumonia that it had reopened, but we were lucky that it didn't.

• Options
    My DD went through this too.  She had 2 rounds of meds and they didn't close her PDA.  She ended up having PDA ligation surgery at 2 weeks old.  I was terrified to have her in surgery however it was the best decision we made because right after surgery she came off her blood pressure meds and had a somewhat uneventful NICU stay.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

DS went through this as well, 2 rounds of meds and his DID close. 2 weeks later they heard the murmer again and found it had re-opened. He had surgery at 3 weeks old, under 2lbs. We were terrified, but in all honesty, it was the BEST thing for him. They were only in surgery about 45 mins, and his sats turned around within hours.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My twins were both born with a PDA.  Eventually through their 2 mo NICU stay they closed.  At our 6mo well baby we found out that her PDA had reopened.  We've been seeing a cardiologist annually and will do a cardiac catheterization procedure this summer to finally close it.  It has not given her any complications over the course of the 2 years and our Cardi felt that it was best to wait until she was older and weighed more and maybe just maybe it would close.  However, it's now clear that it isn't going to close on its own.  I'm super nervous for the procedure but from what I've researched it seems to be pretty routine and I'm glad that she's older and can handle things a little better.  Good luck....I hope that pesky PDA just closes on it's own so you don't have to worry about it.

Heather

Emily & Ellery born at 26 weeks/4 days Feb 2008

www.singerhouse.blogspot.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"