Baby Showers
Options

Total whine

I am extremely lucky in most aspects of my life, but my mother, well... 

I was put on bedrest less than a week before my baby shower. My mother held it anyway (it was in my hometown four hours drive away). This was two weeks ago. She refuses to ship the gifts (I offered to not only pay for the shipping but have UHaul deliver her boxes and UPS pick up the packages) and says she going to drive up with them instead but keeps delaying when that will be (and oh, she wants me to pay for the gas and tolls). So it will be (at least) a month after the shower before I can send thank you notes.

All that said, here is the whine: she has opened all of the gifts! I quote:  "They are from my friends and I have a right to open them!" I not only missed the shower but don't even get to open the gifts!

Blocked tubes due to ruptured appendix
IVF#1 Ectopic - tube removed; FET#1 CP; IVF#2 BFP!
Beta#1 13dpo 115; Beta#2 15dpo 248; Beta #3 20dpo 2215 U/S#1 6w1d HR 99; U/S#2 8w HR 165; U/S#3 10w HR 176 and moving all around!
Bedrest at 28 weeks due to preterm labor; released to modified bedrest at 34 weeks; released to full activity at 37 weeks
BabyNantucket born at 37 weeks 4 days 7lbs8oz 19in

Success is getting up just one more time than you fall down.

Re: Total whine

• Options

Wow.  Just wow.  They weren't TO HER.  She had no right to do that. 

Sorry you have to deal w/ that.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

It is off-putting that she went forward with hosting a shower you couldn't attend, but understandable being you went on bed rest a week before.

However, if it were me, I would send DH, or a friend from the area who would be willing, to pick up the gifts this weekend.  There is no excuse for her inability to bring them in a timely manner and you're the one who will look bad for the delay in sending a written thank you.

The fact that she opened them is another "WTF".  If I were you, I would order a book on etiquette from Amazon and have it shipped to her.  She clearly has no sense of what is and isn't appropriate.  Was this her shower, or yours?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageDaniLovesPink:

However, if it were me, I would send DH, or a friend from the area who would be willing, to pick up the gifts this weekend. 

This too!  Send someone to get them.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    K.a.T.eK.a.T.e member
    Geez!  Can you send DH to meet her halfway or something?
  • Options
    I hope she kept track of who gave you what.  I agree with the others, you should send someone to pick them up.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    imageDaniLovesPink:

...If I were you, I would order a book on etiquette from Amazon and have it shipped to her.

Haha I love this! Truth is, she knows what is appropriate, she just does what she wants anyway.

As for someone picking them up, there isn't anoyone there that would be willing to go against her and DH can't because I am on bedrest. She is, unfortunately, running the show.

Blocked tubes due to ruptured appendix
    IVF#1 Ectopic - tube removed; FET#1 CP; IVF#2 BFP!
    Beta#1 13dpo 115; Beta#2 15dpo 248; Beta #3 20dpo 2215 U/S#1 6w1d HR 99; U/S#2 8w HR 165; U/S#3 10w HR 176 and moving all around!
    Bedrest at 28 weeks due to preterm labor; released to modified bedrest at 34 weeks; released to full activity at 37 weeks
    BabyNantucket born at 37 weeks 4 days 7lbs8oz 19in

Success is getting up just one more time than you fall down.

• Options
    You have got to be kidding me. What nerve!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yikes. Sad
  • Options
    I would pay a stranger to go there and pick up the gifts.  WTF- she opened up the presents because they were from HER friends??  Did she write down who gave what in case the card and present gets seperated?  If she didn't I'd be sending a thank you card that says "Thank you for the gift- I'm not sure what one you gave as MIL opened them all before I had a chance to."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"