Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Update on the bump on DD's forehead

Went to the opthalmologist today and he said it's a cyst. Eventually it'll probably get big and infected and then it'll have to be surgically removed. (Sob!)

But I guess the good news is that it isn't at all attached to her eye or any bones. And her vision is 100%.

Removing it now is not recommended because of her age, it's very difficult to remove 100% of it when it's not infected and then there'd be more troubles because it wouldn't have anywhere to drain.

So we're just supposed to wait until it starts to look bad and then call a dermatologist.

A selfish, petty whine: Why does this have to be on her pretty little face?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Update on the bump on DD's forehead

• Options
    when its time to have it removed I would try to get a plastic surgeon to do it instead of a dermatologist, unless you have seen their work.  I had a mole removed from my back when I was younger and the doctor told my mom it would be a pencil thin scar.  Well it is NOT a pencil thin scar...it is about an inch wide! 
  • Options

imagekellnbri:
    when its time to have it removed I would try to get a plastic surgeon to do it instead of a dermatologist, unless you have seen their work.  I had a mole removed from my back when I was younger and the doctor told my mom it would be a pencil thin scar.  Well it is NOT a pencil thin scar...it is about an inch wide! 

Ditto this.  I used to work with a young woman who had a melanoma on her eyebrow.  She had to have it removed, of course.  Her PCP said she could choose between a plastic surgeon and a dermatologist.  She chose the dermatologist, thinking that would be a much better decision than going to a plastic surgeon -- wrong! She had complications from the surgery and was left with a scar.  In the end, she and her PCP felt that she would have been better off with a plastic surgeon.

Many plastic surgeons do mostly the type of work Dana would need, rather than boob jobs and face lifts, and they are experts at fine facial surgery.  Dermatologists don't normally do a lot of surgery.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Very good point, ladies, thank you!

I have two very long, ugly scars on my knees (not the doc's fault) so I'm a bit sensitive about DD having a scar on her face.

• Options
    kada626kada626 member
    aw, I'm sorry. I know what you mean about her face. DD2 has a deep hemangioma right above her eyebrow. I'm going to wait until she is older to decide to have surgery or not but the dr said she is mostly likely going to have a scar either way. I keep telling myself it could be worse.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Well.  At least you know now, right?  It does stink that they can't do anything about it now, but if it needs to be surgically removed, I guess it's good that they don't have to do anything right away.

Did they give any timetable as to how long it might take to get infected?

• Options

Nope, everyone's different.

Like I need something else to obsess over!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"