1st Trimester

What do you say if someone asks you if you're pregnant?

...and don't want to tell people just yet.

Today I was at lunch with about 10 co-workers and sitting next to my boss. I said "I think I want something fried" and my co-worker just blurts out - are you pregnant???

I have been hiding it well (I thinnk). I am 11 weeks tomorrow. I was really annoyed. I think I was pretty defensive and said Why- because I want fried food that means I'm pregnant???

Any way, note to self I am never asking someone that in front of a large group of people. Obnoxious! 

Re: What do you say if someone asks you if you're pregnant?

• Oh my gosh how rude! Thankfully nobody has asked me yet I would be offended (naturally assuming they just thought I was getting fat). I'm not a good liar so you would probably be able to tell in my face, but sounds like you covered for yourself very well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you're almost 12 weeks and no ones said anything, consider yourself lucky! You must look really good. But they should still be keeping theirnoses out of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I really hate when people do that! Before I got pregnant if I said something such as "ohhh I'm craving.." or  something along those lines my sister would say "are you pregnant or what?" or "Your pregnant!" it was really annoying and rude. Now that I am in fact pregnant I don't really know what I would say especially when it involves co-workers, but I do think I would call her out later -alone- to say that was rude and un-called for.
  • I lied and said no. To my sister. Then we told her a couple days ago and she said "So when I asked you, you were lying?" I said yes. Luckily she laughed it off. 
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• I just lie and say no. Just dont over play it. I figure they are being rude enough to ask a question that is none of their business then I can be rude and lie right to their faces. You do not owe them the truth. This is YOUR pregnancy and you will tell when you are ready! OMG stuff like this really gets me annoyed!!

On a semi related note... I also hate when people play the "do you think so and so is pregnant" game. People, a pregnancy is not juicy gossip... its a BABY! these things are fragile and will come out when it is time not just because you felt it was your right and civic responsibility to play detective... Rant over.....

• I never had anyone ask me this but my SIL once had this happen to her and she said, "Ha Ha very funny."  You could also say something like, "Is this your nice way of telling me I need to lay off the cookies?!"  That should stop them in their tracks. 
  • imagesarahbear1031:

I just lie and say no. Just dont over play it. I figure they are being rude enough to ask a question that is none of their business then I can be rude and lie right to their faces. You do not owe them the truth. This is YOUR pregnancy and you will tell when you are ready! OMG stuff like this really gets me annoyed!!

On a semi related note... I also hate when people play the "do you think so and so is pregnant" game. People, a pregnancy is not juicy gossip... its a BABY! these things are fragile and will come out when it is time not just because you felt it was your right and civic responsibility to play detective... Rant over.....

Totally agree. Sometimes I wonder if they have nothing else going on in their lives and that is why they care so much. 
  • DH & I actually discussed this while TTC.  He thinks that lying & saying no is like trying to tempt fate, so we agreed that if asked directly, no matter how far along I was, we/I would tell the truth.  Thankfully, no one has asked yet, and school ends for the year next week, so as long as I don't get hit with awful m/s, I think we'll make it through without telling people we're not ready to tell yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I lied last week at happy hour- about being pregnant and why I couldn't drink.  I covered myself well and it will be funny once i start showing:)  ha- none of your business until I decide!
    After 4 years of unexplained infertility, IF treatments and 3 losses we have our miracle baby! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was asked this once before I was pregnant.  A co-worker said my face looked fuller and asked.  I looked at her and said "I have my period, thanks for pointing out my bloat."  Inappropriate question calls for inappropriate answer.

I have thought about this now though since it is the real deal and decided I will say, "Isn't that one on the list of things you should never ask a woman?"

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been asked several times and i'm a terrible liar so I've told them but added that we're not announcing yet, so keep it quiet. I can't believe how forward some people are! But I knew this would happen - I've been in a workout class for over a year with these girls and they knew something was up when my instructor started modifying everything for me.
  • Luckily no one has asked me yet (H is OOT, so I think they all assume it's not gonna happen until he gets back), but I have been asked if I have kids and I just say, "not at this time".
  • em_713em_713 member

Uhg!!! This happened to me and it was so frustrating and rude! It was also in front of a student and his Mom...not really wanting to tel anyone let alone them! I kind of got wishy washy about it and then told her later that I'm still keeping it a secret for a couple more weeks.

The same day a friend who knows said someone asked her directly and she just didn't give them a straight answer because she didn't want to lie...I wish she just would have told them.."I don't know, why don't you ask her?"

I would never ask someone unless they were very big and obviously pregnant..People are unbelievable!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hadn't decided I was ready to tell my mom until a week or so ago... before that, if she made any comments about me being KU, I just sort of side-stepped it... for example, on our way to a baby expo, she made a comment about signing up for registries, because "it's not like you're pregnant... are you?" My answer was "Well, I COULD always sign up for Evelyn's first birthday party. You wouldn't believe how big some of the parties I've been reading about are! 200 person guestlist!!!" So I didn't lie, I just avoided telling the full truth (and no, I didn't create a registry for Evelyn's first birthday). Now she does know, but my dad and ILs don't know. If any of them ask directly, then yes, we'll tell them, but my current plan is to let them all know on Father's Day (June 20, I think it is this year...)
  • I either just say no. Or I say, "No. Are you?".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"