Preemies
Options

twins born at 32 weeks

My twins were born May 20th at 32 weeks after 13 weeks of bedrest and three hospital stays for preterm labor.  Today is my first day home without them and I am feeling a little sad.  I know they are in good hands and the nurses in the NICU have been wonderful so far.  I am sure I will have many questions along the way.  I just wanted to introduce myself and was wondering if anyone else here had twins around the same time.  I would love to hear about your experience.      

Re: twins born at 32 weeks

• Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your babies. Hoping for a speedy NICU time. Please keep us posted.

• Options
    Congrats!! My twins were also born at 32w3d!
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, way to keep those babies cooking for as long as you did!! 13 weeks of bedrest does not sound fun. Congrats on the birth of your twins!
  • Options
    Congrats, momma! You did an AMAZING job! I don't have twins, but my DD was born at 32 weeks and came home at 36weeks. It was rough to leave her in the nicu - but you have such a great attitude about it! Welcome to the board!
  • Options
    Congrats on beautiful babies and 13 weeks of bedrest :-)
  • Options
    Kimmy08Kimmy08 member

Congrats on your babies! I had my girls at 32 weeks as well! The biggest was 4lbs 4oz and the other was 4lbs 1oz. I was on hospital bedrest for 10 weeks for PTL and short cervix. Our situations are very similar.

My girls were in the NICU for one month exactly. Both were on CPAP for the first few days and my one girl had to be intubated and given surfactant on the second day. They were on nasal cannulas for about a week. Other than my smallest girl's PDA, which closed after meds, and another small heart issue, they were pretty much feeders and growers after the second week. They were able to come home at the same time, but we were told that doesn't normally happen.

Congrats again, and if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask. Although I am pretty new to this myself!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKimmy08:

Congrats on your babies! I had my girls at 32 weeks as well! The biggest was 4lbs 4oz and the other was 4lbs 1oz. I was on hospital bedrest for 10 weeks for PTL and short cervix. Our situations are very similar.

My girls were in the NICU for one month exactly. Both were on CPAP for the first few days and my one girl had to be intubated and given surfactant on the second day. They were on nasal cannulas for about a week. Other than my smallest girl's PDA, which closed after meds, and another small heart issue, they were pretty much feeders and growers after the second week. They were able to come home at the same time, but we were told that doesn't normally happen.

Congrats again, and if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask. Although I am pretty new to this myself!

Our situations do sound similar.  My daughter was 3 lbs 9 oz and my son was 4 lbs 1 oz.  She was on CPAP for the first day.  He was on CPAP for a few day and had trouble breathing so they intubated and gave him surfactant.  Both are breathing on their own now.  Thank you for sharing your story.  I am sure I will have questions for you.

• Options
    Congrats on the birth of your babies. I don't have twins but my son was also born at 32w3d. I hope your NICU stay is short and uneventful.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Congrats on your babies and I'm so sorry you had to come home without them. I was a class A disaster on my discharge day. DH had never seen me cry so hard or freak out like I did that day. It was awful. The day will end and you can return to see your beautiful babies very soon. Hugs! I hope they have a short and uneventful NICU stay.
  • Options
    I had twins born at 32w1d and I was in the hospital for 8 weeks due to the mono/mono twins. My boys were in the NICU for 6 weeks....for feeding.  They were anemic and did not have enough endurance to finish every bottle.   Congratulations and I too wish you an uneventful NICU stay.
  • Options
    jlh123jlh123 member

Congratulations!  You are an amazing mom staying on bedrest 13 weeks!

I have boy/girl twins that were born 31 1/2 weeks.  Both were only on the oxygen thing and mostly breathing room air and were off it quickly.  My son was there 3 1/2 weeks and was a true feeder and grower.  They discharged him at exactly 35 weeks gestation and they only waited that long because they just won't discharge before 35 weeks they said.  He was born 4pds3ounces and was discharged at 5 pounds.  My daughter was there 7 1/2 weeks due to desat episodes that she eventually grew out of.  She had trouble with feedings as well.  She was born 3pds3ounces and discharged around 5 pounds.

I know that feeling of leaving without your babies.  It's awful, I used to be sick to my stomach.  I cried every day and I had that right to!  I took the time when I wasn't at the hospital to get their room ready and wash their clothes.  Also, every day I took home their laundry and washed it.  I felt like I was doing something for them that way. 

Hang in there! 

• Options

imagemsalinardi@live.com:
    Wow, way to keep those babies cooking for as long as you did!! 13 weeks of bedrest does not sound fun. Congrats on the birth of your twins!

This!! Wow!! 13 weeks of bedrest is a LONG time. It's amazing that you kept them in that long.

Congratulations on your sweet little ones. I hope their hospital stay is short and as uneventful as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"