Special Needs
Options

? re bloodowrk for Downs screening

I am going to be 30 when I deliver and I was told after the 1st tri screening blood work that my chances for downs is 1 in 850. I am still waiting to find out the results to the 16 week blood work. Is this high? Also, will my numbers possibly go up after the follow up blood work?

It seems like other ladies my age are 1 in 100, 000 category. Not sure if that is the combined blood work at 16- 20 weeks.

Thank you!

Re: ? re bloodowrk for Downs screening

• Options
    I am going to be 33 when I deliver and my 1st tri screening came back at 1 in 300.  This was blood work at 12 wks and NT ultrasound.  I am goind for a second ultrasound on Tuesday.  All this has made me very nervous.
  • Options
    It is high if you are the 1 in 850.  I know a person with a son with DS who was 1 in 650.  I would talk to your doctor about how the risk translate for your age and what the makers are they look at.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Honestly, 1/850 is just slightly increased over your risk based on age alone (which is 1/900 - https://www.ds-health.com/risk.htm).  It also means that there is a 99.88 percent chance that your baby will NOT have DS (and that's doing the calculation, not just throwing a number out there).  So I wouldn't worry too much just yet - at least wait and see what your 16 week bloodwork shows.  :)

Oh, and I was your age and wasn't in the 1/100,000 category, nor do I think the most women our age are.  I was 30 when I delivered DD and after my 1st tri screening was told our Down Syndrome risk was around 1/6,000.  DD doesn't have DS, and what she does have would not have reflected an increased risk on the 1st tri screening. 

• Options

when I was pregnant with ds my quad screen( at 16 weeks) came back as 1 in 191 for downs..  ds was born with no downs.. I was 30 at the time.. I was not told any results after the 1st tri blood results.

I am going to be offered the quad screen at my next ob appt next week I will not be doing it again. Way too stressful for me..

DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • Options
    I was 27 when i got pregnant and my quad screen  came back 1/120 for downs. I now have a beautiful healthy 2 month old. Do not let this test scare you i personally would never do this test again, it is a percentage not a yes or no. 
  • Options

I'm 27 and was in the 1 in 660 range for this pg after my initial b/w at 7weeks.
    I had my first round of the quad screen done at 11 weeks and my results were 1 in 25 risk of Ds.  I had a CVS done (not b/c of the Ds risk) and this baby does not have Ds.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Do the math.  A 1:850 risk is a 0.11% chance.  That's pretty minimal.  Not impossible, but really very, very low.

I was 1:5 and my son is perfectly fine.  Still lurk around here, tho, to gain information in case a future child has issues.. I'm AMA.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Updated response - re: ladies your age being mostly in the 1/100,000 category....  I just got my sequential screen results for this pregnancy yesterday (I'm now 32) - 1/10,000 for DS, and the nurse called that a "really great number."  So it may seem to you like your friends are all in the 1/100,000 range, but I think that's actually much more unusual.

Bottom line, I don't think you should worry.  :)

• Options
    imageluckyfrgg:

Updated response - re: ladies your age being mostly in the 1/100,000 category....  I just got my sequential screen results for this pregnancy yesterday (I'm now 32) - 1/10,000 for DS, and the nurse called that a "really great number."  So it may seem to you like your friends are all in the 1/100,000 range, but I think that's actually much more unusual.

Bottom line, I don't think you should worry.  :)

Thanks hon. I talked to my Dr and he said with the bloodwork and the NT scan, I was a 1 in 13,000 chance so that has made me feel better. I guess you never know though.

Thanks for the comment though :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"