Baby Showers
Options

Baby shower after baby?

So MIL is planning on throwing me a baby shower some time before i am due in October.  And my sisters are also throwing me one for my side of the family.  Is it okay if i would prefer to have my second one after i have the baby.  There are some people who will be attending that i do see very often so thought i would be better to have it after so they would be able to see our little bundle of joy.  Is that okay? or should i just have both before?

Re: Baby shower after baby?

• Options

I think having both after, so everyone has an opportunity to meet the baby, sounds like a great idea.

I know I'll have to bring the baby to work to see our co-workers, to DH's side of the family in Wisconsin and to our family in Springfield, so to have everyone come to you to meet the baby would definitely remove a lot of extra stress.

• Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with having a baby shower after the baby is born, but if that's what your sisters decide to do I'd be sure MIL is aware (she may think it's a great idea and want her side to be able to see the baby, as well).  The downside to showers after baby is that some essentials you'll need right when the baby is born, and you won't be able to wait until after the shower to see what people may decide to get for you.  The only other thing I would keep in mind is that most pediatricians recommend baby doesn't get exposed to large numbers of people before the first round of vaccines, at around 6-8 weeks, and honestly when DD was born I wouldn't have been comfortable having her in a situation where people would want to pass her around, so to speak, before that.  Just something to keep in mind with scheduling.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    pam1005pam1005 member
    It is totally fine to have a shower after the baby is born, but I personally would not be up for it.  I was not really up for a party of any sort until at least 6 weeks after.  My DS was an eater and I never slept more than four hours a night until at least 8 weeks.  Also, like pp said I would not feel comfortable having my LO around many people until a lot of their vaccinations.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Since many of our families are far out of state, we decided to not have a baby shower (I feel awkward having a shower since very few will be in attendance)--I am saying this with the thought in the back of my head some of my friends may decide to throw me a shower as a surprise but it will be attended by like 10 people if that. I am not a huge party person, and love my tight-knit group. 

Our moms are not happy we are not having a shower so we conceded and are having a welcome party after LO arrives. I felt better having people meet the baby and then if they *want* to bring a gift, they are welcome to do so. It makes it better for our families since they will get to see the baby and unless we travel for the holidays (depends on DH's time off and ticket prices) we probably will not see a lot of them for a little while. This is the first child for both sides of the family, so everyone is excited and will be here after the baby is born (I already enacted DH only in the delivery room, but I am sure the waiting room will be full of everyone else).

• Options

:peeping in:

Just stopping by from another board, but in adoptions it's common and some call them a "Sip and See". Kind of a drop in with light refreshments and the baby is there so your friends and family can see.... Back to my usual board now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My DD had her shower after baby was born.  Her girlfriend had invites all ready (addressed and most of the info filled out - except the date).  As soon as my DD had the baby the date of the shower was added (happened to be just under 3 weeks) and stamped with "It's a Boy!" and out they went.  It was great and held at my DD's home.  I helped her friend decorate and set up the night before (as did her DH) and everything went smoothly.  No one (not one person) asked to hold the baby.  He was in the little bouncy seat or my DD was holding him (or I was holding him).  She was discreetly able to nurse him right there at the shower duirng game time. 

It is surprising how many things you do NOT need for a newborn.  LOL  She already had a few outfits, onesies, receiving blankets and the hospital gave her a gazillion diapers and wipes.  My DD already had a bassinet (her own) and a rocking chair.  She had to purchase a car seat which was really the only big thing she had to have before baby was born.  Since she didn't know his sex before birth it was nice that she was able to get some gender specific things.

• Options
    Yep, I think its fine.  I know someone who is doing this since she wants to be surprised about the gender and doesn't want a lot of yellow and green!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"