Special Needs

CT scan

Hi,

My 7-month old is scheduled for a CT scan of the temporal plain next week.  He was born w/hearing loss, and discovered to have middle ear abnormalities (probably no middle ear space on the left side) when the ENT tried to put PE tubes in his ears.  He also has left side facial nerve paresis.

Anyway, has anyone's LO gone through a CT scan?  I'm worried about the radiation and also, I am now confused about whether the drs could do anything based on the information at this young age (I've been reading that middle ear surgeries are done usually between 5-10 years old).

I'm going to contact his dr on Monday, but would like to hear about anyone else's experiences, thoughts.

Thanks,

Melissa

Re: CT scan

• Nate has only had MRI and we have a follwup one planned for July. Sorry I can't help you, but I do have a couple questions.

Is there a reason why they want to do CT vs MRI? I was under the impression that MRI's give a clearer picture.

Or are CT's better for looking at ear structure somehow? We have mild/moderate hearing loss and our guess is that he has an under-developed cochlea, so this is why your post brings up my questions.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• My impression was the CT would show better what is going on with the bones of his middle ear; he has a mixed loss with a huge air-bone gap (so there's a significant conductive loss). 

I am going to call the dr tomorrow & ask him to explain again exactly why we need the CT.  I'll post his reply.

By the way, Nate is getting big (& is adorable)!  How is he doing?  How does he tolerate his hearing aids?

• Loading the player...
  • My DS has had 20+ CT scans.  He has a brain tumor and shunts, and it is sometimes necessary, despite the radiation issue.  When they do a small baby, they reduce the radiation.  In any case, I'd rather be safe rather than sorry down the road!  T&Ps coming your way!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"