Adoption
Options

Adoption is not a dirty word - a vent

We are open with Lil J about his situation in an age appropriate way.  He knows he has two moms, he knows that right now his mom can't take good care of him, we talk about his "arrival day", we talk about what it means to be adopted, etc, etc

We never wanted it to be a "let's talk' type of thing.  We want he to always know.

Of course as he gets older, we will share more details.  But, he is too young for the details now.

Well it happens all the time that if we are talking about adoption (in general or specific to Lil J) and he is in earshot the person will always wisper or just mouth "adoption".

I can understand this for people that really don't know me, since they don't know how much we tell him.  But, this is also for people that we are close to - like my mom.  Plus, it is in situations where I say the word out loud before they do.

I respond by saying, "oh, adoption is not a dirty word - Lil J knows what it means, etc, etc"  but, they still do it.

Sorry, for the rambling vent - just annoys me

Re: Adoption is not a dirty word - a vent

• Options
    I can completely relate.  People (family included) are always doing this with the wierdest things - one family member always mouths "birth mom" and whispers when asking about her...umm, he knows she exists...he visits her weekly and we have her picture on our fridge! lol.
  • Options
    We haven't even adopted yet and people do this me all the time-including family also!  I feel ya.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagectbride08:
    I can completely relate.  People (family included) are always doing this with the wierdest things - one family member always mouths "birth mom" and whispers when asking about her...umm, he knows she exists...he visits her weekly and we have her picture on our fridge! lol.

THIS exactly!

We are very open, why do people feel the need to hide things?

• Options
    Seriously? Your mom thinks everything is a dirty word.
  • Options

This reminds me of Brighton Beach Memoirs, where the older women would whisper, "cancer," etc.  Maybe it is a generational thing? 

I think it's great that you are open about it and don't talk about it as if it's a secret or a shameful thing.  That will go a long way to making your LO feel confident about his story.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yep -- it annoys me too!  For us, people are afraid to say birth mom, too.  They'll kind of fumble around for a word to describe her and then whisper, "you know, her birth mom...?" 
  • Options
    I never even noticed that people in my life do that...But thinking about it a lot of them do! I am actually really glad you posted this because I dont want our daughter to get a feeling that its a taboo topic. I will steal your reply hope thats ok!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member

as a kid, I always though the whisper = greater ephasis.

I mean, I can ignore adult boring conversation--but not when it's whispered, then my wee ears perk up and I need to know!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"