Special Needs
Options

ASD mommies, a question about language

Please no flames, just a honest question.

DS is 9.5 mo old, and still isn't babbling. He makes consonant noises (k, p, b, d, g, m, ahhgoo, etc). He however, isnt saying baba, mama, dada, etc.He crawls, cruises, waves, smiles, laughs, and hears fine.

I worked some in graduate school with ASD children doing play therapy, so I remembered that language comprehension is something to be aware of with asd early markers.

Did your LO's babble? Anything I should be concerned about, or suggestions you have? 

Re: ASD mommies, a question about language

• Options

From an SLP reading that quick description, he sounds perfectly on track.  You only described his expressive language - are you concerned that is isn't comprehending language as he should?  Does he respond to his name?  Will he look at an item close by if you say, "look at the X" (even with a gesture/point to show him)? If you present your hand and say come here or can I have it? - will he participate?

If babbling is your only concern at this point, I wouldn't be very worried - especially given his sound repertoire, waving, and social engagement.  

FWIW, my DD is 20 months and on track with language and never really babbled - it drove me insane and I worried about it, but turns out, it was just how she developed.  Overall, she was just very quiet.  And now we can see that she is an observer and a bit cautious - it is just part of her personality.   HTH ease your mind.  Obviously though, if you gut is telling you there is something going on, don't listen to the random lady on the message board!

• Options

I sooooo appreciate the SLP perspective (and love the "random lady on a message board title"). He understands his name, looks at items, smiles at people, finds the dog, rolls a ball with us, participates in patty cake, looks at daddy, etc.

He doesn't understand the "can I have it" from what I can tell so far...just tried it with a block and no dice, haha.

Babbling is pretty much the only concern. He has been slow with solids, not interested in finger foods/gagging with them - but I think that is just normal at this point.

Thank you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry to reply here as I'm not a SN mom but I lurk here sometimes for my nephew.  However, this post really hit home with me because my DS was the same as you describe...he's now 14 months (so still young) but I just wanted to let you know that he DID start babbling at 10 months and he is VERY social, and uses non-verbal gestures very appropriately, etc...his pedi was not worried at all given that he was understanding alot of what we asked of him.  At this point, he's pointing, waving, says a few words (mama, dada, ball, "yler" for Tyler the cat but that's about it) but he understands alot and knows what many things are (such as he knows who Big Bird is and I have no idea how).  Anyway, I worried about this for MONTHS and drove myself crazy...I just wanted to try to ease your mind a bit...
  • Options

I can honestly say I've never seen a flame here :)

I believe that as long as he is doing constants that is the important thing.  My younger DS has a speech delay and the thing that tipped me off initially was that at 12 months he wasn't really do anything other than vowels (a, o, u, e).  I would call what he is doing babbling.

Language comprehension can be a whole different game though and I think he's a little young to really tell.  I think you just keep playing with him and doing things like labeling body parts, colors, etc.

Even if he ends up having a speech delay, unless you have some other concerns, that wouldn't automatically make me think ASD.  FWIW, not all ASD kids have a speech delay either.  I have 2 with ASD and one is a late talker and the other one wasn't. 

• Options
    imagetaliaheartchris:

I sooooo appreciate the SLP perspective (and love the "random lady on a message board title"). He understands his name, looks at items, smiles at people, finds the dog, rolls a ball with us, participates in patty cake, looks at daddy, etc.

He doesn't understand the "can I have it" from what I can tell so far...just tried it with a block and no dice, haha.

Babbling is pretty much the only concern. He has been slow with solids, not interested in finger foods/gagging with them - but I think that is just normal at this point.

Thank you!

That sounds golden.  You are a good momma to be on top of this and you are making great observations.  Enjoy this fun fun time - watching them change and grow and learn is absolutely the craziest and coolest thing, IMO...but I am a huge dork like that - sounds like you may be too ;) 

• Options
    Thanks everyone! And yes, I am a huge dork :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"