Military Families
Options

XP: Flying with LO tips needed

I posted this on 6-12 but I thought that well travelled military moms might have some insight.

For those who have gone on a flight with LO alone, what were your lessons learned? I am flying home (luckily a short flight) with DD on Friday and am trying to plan for the trip.  I'm trying to decide what I should bring to keep her busy on the plane and if I need my ergo or ring sling to be hands free for getting on and off the plane, etc. TIA.

Re: XP: Flying with LO tips needed

• Options
    I've flown alone with DD three times now, and it's really not that bad.  I just wore her through the airport, then when we got to the gate a put down a blanket and we played on the floor in a corner until it was time to board.  Then we boarded last (didn't wanna be stuck on the plane any longer than necessary).  We had some toys and I fed her as we took off (helps ears poping).  She actually fell right asleep, but then woke up and just played.  She got fussy once and we just walked up and down the aisle.  Oh, and make sure to change her before you get on the plane b/c the changing table in the restroom is... well, tiny.   Also, ask the folks at the ticket counter to hook you up with a seat that has an empty one next to it- if they have anything they usually will, and let me tell you, it is sooooo much easier.  Hope that helps, enjoy your trip!
  • Options
    Thanks. I've been debating wearing her vs. the umbrella stroller. You can't wear her through security though, right? I checked the TSA website and that's how I understood it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Actually I have always wore her through security- with the exception of once at Laguardia (NYC) when they were at "high alert" and they asked me to take her out so they could screen everything.  It wasn't a big deal and they helped me.
  • Options
    IlumineIlumine member

Monkey's first flight was at 6 weeks.  She has flown 9 roundtrips in her 16 months, two being transatlantic flights. It really is not as hard as sounds.  

First, wearing the baby is up to the TSA at that particular Airport at that particular time.  But it is easy enough to take the baby out and put her right back in. 

Second, AND THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, start her sucking (bottle or boob) AS SOON AS THEY CLOSE THE DOOR.  The plane starts pressurizing then.  This will help her ears for the rest of the flight.

Third, buy a few new, cheesy throw away toys that she has never ever seen before.  Give them to her, one at a time and do not switch them out until she gets cranky. 

I usually go to the base thrift store and buy up a bunch of kids' meals bendable toys for her flights.  Since Monkey never gets them at home, she is enthrawled.

Fourth, if you can find a travel size pump spray bottle - grab it.  Put the Clorox anywhere disenfecting spray in it.  Then spray down everywhere you go. I am NOT a GERM NUT at all (germs are our friends actually), but there is a huge difference between you average store and an airport. 

Give yourself pleanty of time to get through security.  And be prepared:have your diaper bag open, with any liquids ready to open; have your shoes and jacket off (infact have it put away); ask the first TSA agent if you can walk through with your LO and if not, take her out at that moment, etc.

And last - DO NOT GO ON THE PLANE FIRST.  Be the last one to board.  You may lose overhead space, but since you have less time on the plane there is less time to get bored and for your neighbors to start worrying about a screaming baby. 

Have fun.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

Definitely bring a baby carrier of some sort.  I wear DD in the Ergo, when we fly.  Flying out of ORF, I had to take her out of the Ergo.  It's easier if you don't put shoes on your LO.  It's one less thing to take off at security.  I'm cheap and won't pay to check a bag, so I'm that person with a ton of crap (baby in the Ergo, rolling bag, and purse).

Bring toys and snacks to keep your LO occupied.  While messy, mum mums can buy you a few minutes of entertainment.  DD enjoys the pacifier, so she sucks on that the whole flight.  I prefer not to nurse her on the flight.  Not that I have a problem with NIP, but there's just not a lot of room on the plane. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options

I'm definitely back to leaning toards wearing her in the ergo. My mom has a stroller so we don't need to bring one. Also, we are flying out of Newport News not ORF so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can keep her in.

I'm worried about room to nurse too. DD is a big girl and a wiggle worm. She is also very nosey and I'm worried that she won't be interested in nursing then I won't be able to get her ears to pop. She's never had a paci. I'm thinking of bringing a sippy of BM in case she won't nurse. Maybe she'll take a few sips.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

• Options
    I would bring a paci just in case. It could be something to distract her a well as help her ears, since it's something new. Most kids will suck on a paci for a least a few minutes if you dip it in apple juice or another sweet liquid. Sucking off the flavor is new and keeps them entertained even if they're not hungry.
  • Options
    imageCeeMat:

I'm definitely back to leaning toards wearing her in the ergo. My mom has a stroller so we don't need to bring one. Also, we are flying out of Newport News not ORF so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can keep her in.

I'm worried about room to nurse too. DD is a big girl and a wiggle worm. She is also very nosey and I'm worried that she won't be interested in nursing then I won't be able to get her ears to pop. She's never had a paci. I'm thinking of bringing a sippy of BM in case she won't nurse. Maybe she'll take a few sips.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

the space on the NN flights is def less than on the ORF flights, so compartmentalize as much as you can:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"