North Carolina Babies

Cholestasis???

Is anyone familiar with Cholestasis in pregnancy?  In the past few weeks I've been really itchy on my arms, legs and back, especially at night.  I mentioned it at my doctor's appt this morning and he is testing for it tomorrow since I needed to fast for 8 hours.  It's a liver disorder induced by the high levels of pregnancy hormones in the 3rd trimester.

My Dr. said if I do have it I will start a cholesterol medication and they would induce early since there is very small risk of fetal death.  Of course as soon as I got to work I googled it and it sounds far worse.

Re: Cholestasis???

• I'm pretty sure this is what surfnsand had, so try paging her. She hasn't been on a whole lot lately, but maybe you can catch her. It sounds miserable. Sad

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Are you itchy with no rash? If there's a rash, it could be PUPPs (Lala & I both had it...miserably itchy!!). Hope they figure something out for you soon...I remember how awful that was!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't have that (or PUPPS) but I did get a horrible (horrible) itchy skin rash that started around 30 weeks and lasted until about 2-3 mo. pp with Natalie.  I didn't get it with Claire.  I would get a rash random places on my body (hands, neck, arms, legs) but never really on my belly (which from my understanding is more familiar with PUPPS).  For me the dr. thought it was just a change in hormone that was causing me to be more sensitive to something -- not sure what.  They never brought up testing for cholestasis (I wonder why, now that you mention this term).  Unfortunately, there was nothing that helped the itch; I just had to deal with it for awhile.  I hope they figure out what it is for you soon and there is some relief from it. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm itchy with no rash, which rules out PUPPS.  Plus PUPPS starts on your stomach and goes outward.  I think Cholestasis is just itchy skin with no rash, which is why they are concerned.  I beg DH to scratch my back every night and always ask him if there are bumps and he says no. 

I'm not too worried about it since a lot of the other symptoms don't fit.  But, I'm glad Dr. Anderson is being cautious.  Hopefully they will get the results back Fri. afternoon before the holiday weekend. 

I know itchy skin is common in pregnancy and I had it during the winter with a rash, but it resolved on its on so I figured it was really dry skin.  Luckily the itchiness is bearable for the most part, but I'm glad I mentioned it just in case.

• MereD19MereD19 member
    I don't remember exactly, but isn't that why the mom on www.audreycaroline.blogspot.com was induced?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"