North Carolina Babies

Delayed cord cutting

I've heard about delayed cord cutting on 3rd Tri a lot and from a couple of friends. Did anyone here do it? Was your doc accepting of that decision?

I'm not sure what I want to do. It seems that delaying cord cutting until 2 minutes after birth can greatly lower the chance for the baby developing anemia, but that's not nearly the problem in the U.S. as it is in other countries.

If you're curious, here's a link to a story summarizing the study done by UC Davis.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/06/060618224104.htm

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Delayed cord cutting

• I had planned to do it and my doctor was accepting. I ended up with a c-section, so it wasn't possible.
    PortraitBabyFruit Ticker
  • We delayed cutting the cord.  I delivered at the birth center in Chapel Hill though, and it's the norm there.  I'm pretty sure all of my Bradley friends also delayed cord cutting, and they delivered at Rex and UNC.

As far as I know, there's no medical reason to cut the cord right away. I tend to be of the opinion that mother nature designed humans to function a certain way for a reason.  The cord comes out still attached, and it's still providing oxygen to the baby while it's attached and pulsating. So why not let the cord finish it's job before cutting it, especially since research shows that it can be beneficial.   

• Loading the player...
  • I talked to my doctor about it but didn't pursue it in the end.
  • I recall cracking some jokes to the doc at delivery about getting every last drop out of the cord before we cut it and donated it.  But to be honest, it was all such a blur at that point (not to mention midnight) and I didn't really pursue it.  It was important to me in planning, but once he was out and here, I was more concerned with making sure he was ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"