Baby Showers
Options

1 shower 30 invites or 2 showers 20/10? WWYD?

My MIL is planning a shower w/ my friend.  As far as I know, it might be at my new house due to MIL living farther away and not a lot of friends owning houses in the area.  My invite list right now is about 30 people.  I know not everyone will be able to come because of the summer and vacation plans etc. but I don't know how many will actually not be able to come! 

Another friend who does have a smaller house, offered to throw another shower if I wanted, at her place, for a smaller group of friends (i.e. my church friends for example).  This would split up the massive and also random bunch of people invited and could make it more intimate.  

(Also note: my mom and family across the country are throwing me a small shower when I go home to visit them.)

So - is 3 showers too excessive?  Would you assume a lot of people can't come and stick with 1 shower in my area or go for the smaller more intimate showers?  I have no idea what I want and need some perspective!

Thanks!

Lilypie - (YBLf)

Lilypie - (Cfah)
image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"">

Re: 1 shower 30 invites or 2 showers 20/10? WWYD?

• Options

I dont' think 30 people is "massive" by any stretch!  But if you want smaller and intimate- that's fine too.

3 showers isn't too many as long as the same people aren't being invited to more than one.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I would say on average for the showers I've hosted, and now my own shower, about 1/2 the people actually can make it.  Even with all your invitees in town people with have prior engagements and not be able to come.   I would probably stick with 1 shower for that reason, though I don't think 3 is excessive
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The one shower I hosted, only 2 people couldnt come, AND it was on mothers day weekend.

I'm having 3 showers and I dont think its rediculous.  It's nice to have people that know each other in a smaller setting (my favorite showers are small ones).

Whatever you are comfortable with is fine!

• Options
    I agree with msu.  3 showers is not excessive.  I had 3 and they were all fairly small (8-10 people).  My family (my DH basically has NO family except his mom), my coworkers, and chuch friends made up my 3 showers.  It was nice because we could all sit and talk and everyone knew everyone else.  Wouldn't it be nice to know just who will come before you have to decide?  If we only had a crystal ball!
  • Options
    I am having one shower and we invited 40 people. I am expecting 25-30 to be able to come. I don't think 3 showers is too much but I think if you can fit people in your house that you should just have one instead of breaking it into two. But that is really personal preference- would you rather have smaller showers or keep it a little bigger? How many people can the space accomodate? Figure that out and you should have your answer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kmwillskmwills member
    I had one shower with 27 people attending (invited 44).  I'm glad I only had one, because it was such an overwhelming, emotional weekend, that I wouldn't want to have to do it more than once.  :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

DD: 6/21/10
    DS: 10/11/14
  • Options
    cadencaden member
    30 people is not massive. My mom made her preferred shower guest list and it had 120 people on it. (I've cut this down drastically.) To me, 30 IS intimate! Especially since not everyone will be there. Not every guest needs to be friends with everyone else in attendance. That said, I don't see anything wrong with 3 showers since different people will be at each one. And if 20-25 ppl will be too crowded at the location, then that would be a good reason to split up the guest lists.
  • Options

I am a proponent of smaller more intimate showers.  I don't think 3 is too many as they are different groups of people.  My friends typically have 3 - one for each side of family and one for friends.  The grandmother's get invited to all three.

Cricket's Cadence
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"