LGBT Parenting

cribs- drop side?

I know the drop-side cribs are being recalled left and right, but E's sisters have one that all the nephews have used and they were planning on giving to us. Should we take it? Do you use these? Am I being paranoid- its been fine for 4 kids so far....

thanks.

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: cribs- drop side?

• 2brides2brides member

We did have drop sided cribs (but obviously before they were recalled.)  There were a few times that the side didn't catch and when I went in to get the kids, it fell without being released (but that was probably 10x in 3+ years of using 2 cribs - and it was user error since I/we didn't check to make sure it locked.)

I would use them - my DP probably would want to go get new ones that aren't being recalled.   It depends on how much of a hardship it would be to get 2 new cribs for you. 

you could also use the cribs and then put the movable side against the wall so it isn't used (and I am sure there is a way you could secure it so it doesn't move. Actually they may have a kit for that.)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • It's really based on your personal comfort level, but we've got a drop side with no issues and no regrets. we also cosleep (meaning we sleep in the same room) so that lends an extra level of comfort knowing that in the slim chance anything happened to the crib, we'd be right there to hear it.

• Loading the player...
  • 2brides2brides member

I obviously hadn't read the paper today.

Well, based on this article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/21/AR2010052103254.html?hpid=moreheadlines

I would use it (and probably convince DP too.)  While tragic for the 32 families - 32 kids in 10 years is pretty negligable. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't but well I am a total worry wart, safety freak,  preemie mama bear.  I guess I just don't take risks but I think I see everything through nicu goggles so you should take my thoughts with a grain of salt (or 20).  You should do what you think is right though.  My two cents is that it is also a wearing problem where the hardware is breaking due to use so that is also something to think about. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have one and I wouldn't do it again.

We have had nothing but problems with it, including the dropside coming off the track, but know we are the minority. I loved being able to get her in/out easier w/ the dropside (I'm not tall at all ) but I would worry about a tiny baby in there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"