North Dakota Babies
Options

What PG books did you read?

I have some time to read now since it's early in my pregnancy, and would like to do that before I work on the nursery and register, etc. The book selection on pregnancy and all things related is very slim at my local library, but I would like to know what you girls read during your pregnancies that you thought were the most helpful to you.

Here's where we are as far as how we'd like to handle this pregnancy: I will be using an OB/GYN, and probably not a midwife. I would like to have a natural birth if possible, even though some of our friends and family think that's just crazy talk. I would like to try to BF. (I thought maybe that info would help you recommend your books!) TIA!

Re: What PG books did you read?

• Options
    Tara, first off all Congrats!!!! We're just TTC but I've been reading "What to Expect When you're Expecting" and I love it....It goes over all the options of choosing between a midwife & OBGYN...and goes through a LOT of stuff in detail, most of which I didn't know! HTH!!!!
  • Options
    congrats tara. i have no suggestions just wanted to say congrats.
    June 13, 2009 ~ Ocho Rios, Jamaica
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i read what to expect when you are expecting and the joys of being pregnant.
    Photobucket AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Here's what I read for pregnancy books:

-It's You: Having a Baby (Dr. Oz)

-What to Expect When You're Expecting

-What to Eat When You're Expecting (Although unless you're a complete nutritional dummy, this book was a waste of time.  I read it before I was pregnant, & I didn't really learn anything)

-Your Best Birth 

-Birthing from Within

-Ina May's Guide to Childbirth 

-From the Hips 

-Mayo Clinic's Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy

Can you tell I'm a bit of a reading/researching junkie? lol 

My faves were the Dr. Oz book, From the Hips (kind of a more modern girlfriend-to-girlfriend type book), & Your Best Birth (which is definitely presented with a slanted viewpoint toward a natural birth, but it has a lot of good info.  I also enjoyed the documentary--The Business of Being Born which had a lot of the same information).   HTH, & congrats again!

• Options
    I really enjoyed What to Expect When You're Expecting. It was the only book I read while I was pregnant.
    Nicole and Michael~Las Vegas~May 31, 2008
  • Options

Congrats!  Best wishes for a H&H 9 months!

My primary book has been Your Pregnancy Week by Week.  Things are a bit scattered through it (like what fish you can eat) but the index makes it easier to find things most of the time.

Mayo Clinic's Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy is my everything resource.  It's not as detailed for the weekly stuff but if I have a question about what could be considered normal for a woman with allergies, asthma, GERD, etc, I found it in this book and then could make a more informed decision as to whether it was worth calling the doctor about.  Also at the end of each month they have a section of basic situations and tell you whether or not you can usually wait until your next doctors visit or to call within 24 hours or immediately.  Helped me to calm down a bit on those occasions where my rational mind left and I was left with the emotional train wreck from something I read here or there.  One of those jump to every conclusion days. 

I didn't read WTEWYE because I read too many bad reviews on it.  It wasn't that people didn't like it that deterred me but WHY they didn't like it.  The comments kept saying that the book tended to mention the worst case scenario more often than the more common stuff.  I worry enough as it is so that's why I avoided that book, or at least didn't make it a priority.  I did flip through it though at the book store and what I saw didn't really sway me either way.  Then again at that point I had already bought a different book so I didn't know if I wanted What to expect to supplement what I already had.  I wanted something written by a MD or someone in the field that had some training other than being a Mom.  I've got plenty of Moms around me to ask questions to so I felt like I had that void filled.  I know that people LOVE that book but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

At times the internet is your best friend and your worst nightmare.  If you google a question, you'll find everything that's could possibly be that's bad about the symptom you're looking up.  So keep that in mind. And my OB actually said that sometimes you can read too much and make yourself worry over nothing.  She mentioned this after I had told her I was a bit behind on my reading and reminded me that women have had babies for many many many years before those books came along.

• Options
    I read several pregnancy books but my favorite was the mayo clinic book. I did not read what to expect for the reason PP mentioned. I also read and would recommend Ina May's guide to childbirth, the breastfeeding mother's companion, and the happiest baby on the block. I also have Baby 411 and did not read it while pregnant but wish I had. There is a survival guide for the first two weeks that is helpful. Another good one if you are interested in the topic is The Vaccine Book by Dr Sears. Oh, and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Chikd, I just picked that one up today.
  • Options

I've read:

-What to Expect When You're Expecting

-Your Pregnancy Week by Week

-Girlfriends Guide

I read Jenny McCarthy's book Belly Laughs the first time I was pregnant and I loved it.  It made me laugh and wasn't so serious.  That's how Girlfriends Guide was too.  It was nice to read something that was written by "normal" people and not full of medical advise.  

I am currently reading Ina May's guide to childbirth. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageladybugg82:
    I really enjoyed What to Expect When You're Expecting. It was the only book I read while I was pregnant.

Same here.

• Options

I've read (and am still reading) everything, but that's just the way I operate.  I'm a crazy researcher and it helps me to feel prepared.  Here's my list, but I may be missing a few since my memory isn't the greatest these days...

What to Expect When You're Expecting

Your Pregnancy Week By Week

Your Pregnancy: Every Woman's Guide (by the same ppl who did the week by week)

Planning Your Pregnancy and Birth

Your Best Birth

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

The Thinking Woman's Guide To A Better Birth

The Baby Catcher

Belly Laughs

An Easier Childbirth

Birthing From Within

Hypnobirthing

Natural Childbirth The Bradley Way

The No Cry Sleep Solution

The Happiest Baby On The Block

What To Expect The First Year

I'm just finishing up Hypnobirthing so I still have to get the last 4 finished up prior to Baby C's arrival.  One of my favorites was Your Best Birth, so I would definitely recommend that if you're leaning towards a natural birth.  I also loved The Baby Catcher, but that was less informational and more inspiring to me.  I would also recommend one of the chronological books, like WTEWYE or Week By Week.  I'm not saying that I wouldn't recommend any of the others on my list, but I realize that not everyone is a complete loon and needs to read this much to feel prepared :)  The sad thing is that I also read a couple of books while TTC, but I left them off the list since you're past that stage!

• Options
    Holy crap, Natalee, you're crazier than I am!  Stick out tongue
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"