Preemies

When did you start weaning to cow's milk?

DD will be 1 (actual) next Sunday. We've never discussed starting cow's milk with our pedi so I guess I'll wait until our 1 year visit in 1 1/2 weeks. Just curious if other preemie mommas started at 1 year actual or adjusted. DD is 10 months adjusted. We've tried yogurt with great success but that is it.

Thanks!

Re: When did you start weaning to cow's milk?

• Lily started getting sippy cups of WCM at around 10 months actual.  Around 12.5 months, we quit formula.  That was a great day for her, myself, and my wallet!!! :-)
    3/22/09 - Lily Grace, born at 33 weeks, 2 days
    9/12/14 - M/C @ 7 weeks, 1 day (ectopic)

• My DD is going to be 1 on Saturday!  hurray for Memorial Day weekend babies!

we aren't even close to cow's milk though.  DD has a milk allergy & is also FTT (around 15 pounds at almost 1 year actual).

• Loading the player...
  • imageRachel&Joe:

My DD is going to be 1 on Saturday!  hurray for Memorial Day weekend babies!

we aren't even close to cow's milk though.  DD has a milk allergy & is also FTT (around 15 pounds at almost 1 year actual).

Happy Birthday Miss Stella! Hope you guys enjoy the day!

• We switched at a year actual.  He hated formula and bottles so it was an easy transition.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • DD has been on a hypoallergenic formula since she was 4mos (actual).  At 9mos the pedi switched us to a milk based, lactose free sensitive formula (so far, so good) and in the next month we'll move to a regular milk based formula.  If that goes well, we'll start to wean to whole milk at 13-14mos (actual).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congratulations on your LO's birthday!  Mine were 31 weekers and I wasn't sure what to do either.  I ended up going 1/2 and 1/2 the day after their first birthday, actual, and did that for a few days.  Then I went to 3/4 milk and they both stated having very white-looking poop and rashy cheeks, so I backed off and went back to 1/2 and 1/2 for another week or two.  They've never had any kind of milk allergies, so I wasn't sure what was going on, but they both lost the rosey cheeks and weird poop when I gave them more time to adjust.  I then tried 3/4 again and they were both fine..and then went to milk entirely.  BEST DAY EVER for our wallet!  They've been absolutely fine with the regular milk now and the total switch took about a month, so I guess they were half way between actual and adjusted age of one.  Good luck and enjoy the fact that you've made it through the first year!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our pedi recommended we wait until her adjusted birthday to switch so what we did was start offering cow's milk in her sippy cups at meals and used the time to transition from bottles to cups.
  • We are in the middle of this transition now, and DD had her adjusted first birthday a couple weeks ago.  We have been doing yogurt and cheese for a couple months since DD is not doing so great with gaining weight, but I got the final clearance from the NICU clinic to transition off the fortified formula.  I didn't know that Carnation instant breakfast (mixed as directed) has the same amount of calories at Pediasure and the fortified formula we had been using.  So far, so good. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We are in the process of switching.  I started with giving him cheese, yogurt and letting him eat out of our cereal bowls just to test if there were any allergies around 11 mo. actual age.

A few weeks ago we started adding milk to his formula and gradually increasing the amount.  He did get a bit of diarrhea for a day but then has done really well.

He will finish up his last can of formula this week and be completely switched to cow's milk.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"