Health & Exercise

woman of "traditional build" needs support around getting back to the gym

Hi there,

Tonight after work will be the first time I've gotten myself to the gym to just do the elliptical trainer and some legs and arms stuff on machines.  I'm 6 months pregnant today and am feeling TOTALLY out of shape.  I've gained 35lbs. so far...zoiks...the midwives don't seem to think it's a problem and for that I'm so grateful-but the rest of my body just feels so out of shape-that I'm starting to worry about it.  I'm huffing and puffing up a tiny hill or two flights of stairs.  I've never been a stick figure.  I started out before getting pregnant at a healthy weight=thick...so anyway, I just need to get that out here and hope to hear some kind, understanding and encouraging words...

whew.

Seahorse Mama

Re: woman of "traditional build" needs support around getting back to the gym

• I think you may be getting to the stage of pregnancy where your baby is taking up some of the space previously used by your lungs, and that is why you are winded.

I'm in pretty good shape - walk 3-4 miles 4-5 times a week. But when I hit 30 weeks I could barely walk up stairs without being out of breath. (I also started getting heartburn!) Then the baby switched positions and I was fine for a few weeks. Now I am back to being winded walking upstairs to my bedroom! and the heartburn is back.

Just do what you can, slow down if you need too, and keep moving, even if it's slower.  I think it's perfectly normal. :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I'm more of a petite build, but I wanted to say I was in great shape before and during both pregnancies, and I would have *LOVED* it if I only got out of breath at 6 months! It happened sooner for me. You are fine!

If the MW aren't worried about your weight, I wouldn't be either, but I can say working out during PG makes it easier to go back to the gym afterwards, and it also will help you stay in shape, no matter what the scale says.

• Loading the player...
  • You can do it!  Just take it nice and slow.  I always figure, the fact that we've even AT the gym (walking around the neighborhood, etc) puts us ahead of like 90% of the population.  :D

FWIW, I ran before I got pregnant and I was WINDED for like the last five months!  It sucked, but it's kind of your body's way of slowing you down a bit too.  At when I went up the stairs for the first time after the baby, I felt like I could breathe again!  All that to say, you're probably at a normal stage of pregnancy.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"