Infertility
Options

Laparoscopy or not?

Hi all,

I have not posted for a while because we've been having a lot of company staying at our house the last couple months.

After 3 unsuccessful cycles of Clomid we met with our fertility doctor last Wednesday. He said that the next step would be IUI with injection or laparoscopy to make sure that I don't have endometriosis. I have never had painful periods and don't have any symptoms that make me suspect that I have endometriosis.

We are paying for all this out of pocket. I can't decide if I should do the laparoscopy first before IUI so we are not wasting time for failed IUI if it turns out I have endometriosis or if I should just do the IUI 3 times and if that does not work then we do the laparoscopy. IUI with injection is going to cost us $1500 per cycle and laparoscopy is going to be expensive, likely $5k or more.

What do you all think I should do? Anyone has endometriosis without any symptoms?

Thank you. 

TTC Since 01/09
Unexplained IF
Clomid cycle 1-3 - BFN IUI 1-3 - BFN 
IVF 1 - BFP 4/4/11 - It's a boy!
FET 1 - BFP M/C 6/14
IVF 2 - 33R/19F 12 PGS resulted in 5 normal embies
FET 1 scheduled 12/10/14
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Laparoscopy or not?

• Options
    Will you have to pay for the lap oop? I would think it would be covered. Tough call... Laps are no fun, but you can have endo with no symptoms. The road was clear for me b/c I had clear endo symptoms. Do you O on clomid? Maybe do an iui + clomid?
  • Options

Yeah, I did O-ed when I was on Clomid. And I also O-ed with no problem without Clomid.

They think that I will have to pay OOP for the laps, but I'm going to call my insurance on Monday to check and make sure. 

What were your endo symptoms? 

TTC Since 01/09
    Unexplained IF
    FET 1 - BFP M/C 6/14
    FET 1 scheduled 12/10/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wicked cramps an IBS symptoms that got worse around AF. I would talk to your RE about how they'd code a lap before talking to your insurance. Do you have a heavy or clotty af? Cramps? IBS?
  • Options

I'm hoping that they will code it as dysmenorrhoea. A couple of months ago I complained to my OB/GYN of cramping more during AF after my first Clomid cycle. He had me do an ultrasound with dysmenorrhoea as a reason and it was covered. But really normally I have no cramping, clots or IBS.

What is considered heavy period? My flow is heavy on the first day, medium on 2nd day, and very light on 3rd, very light or gone by the 4th day.

TTC Since 01/09
    Unexplained IF
    FET 1 - BFP M/C 6/14
    FET 1 scheduled 12/10/14
  • Options
    I would definitley think that the lap would be covered. I have to say if I had to do it over again I would have done the lap first. I did three unsuccessful IUIs and then had a lap and found out that I have stage IV endo and had absolutely no symptoms. I personally wish I would have done the lap first. I know it is a hard decision. Good Luck!
    TTC#1 since 7/07 with MFI and Endo/PCOS IUI #1 and #2 with 50mg of clomid= BFN IUI#3 with 100mg of clomid and Bravelle= BFN Lap surgery 11-18-09= found Stage IV Endo :( Three months of Depot Lupron Shots and adding 2000mg Metformin IVF w/ ICSI May 2010 = BFP, M/C at 6 weeks Break to lose weight, down 60 pounds and gearing up for IVF #2 in August 2011
  • Options

I had no systoms of endo and was unexplained.  We did clomid and a couple IUIs, then one injectibles with IUI.  My RE suggested doing a Lap before proceding with more injectibles and IUIs because we were totally OOP.  My lap was completely covered by insurance.  They found mild endo and removed it.  Two cycles later I finally got my BFP!  I am beyond grateful that I did the lap.  Good Luck to you.

After 2 years TTC with mild endo and an elevated FSH. We were successful with our second IUI after Lap surgery. Our daughter born 12/2009. Currently trying for #2. IUI#1-miscarriage, IUI #2-BFN, IUI #3- BFP Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I will call my RE, OB/GYN and my insurance to try to get approval for the lap. 
    TTC Since 01/09
    Unexplained IF
    FET 1 - BFP M/C 6/14
    FET 1 scheduled 12/10/14
  • Options

I just had my lap last Monday and it was covered by insurance. With that being said my doctor told me she wanted us to do the lap before we started more procedures because she definetly wanted insurance to cover it for us. She had said it was possible that they could find out about procedures before we did the lap and not cover it for us. So we did it to be safe and have it out of the way!

GL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"