Minnesota Babies
Options

Needing advice ASAP on baby name!

I am 21 weeks pregnant- We found out last week it's a girl! :) This is our first- and we are having a real hard time deciding on a name. I know we've got a while, but we're starting on the nursery, and with the theme in mind, I'd like her named! My husband is hooked on the name Olivia. He rubs my belly and calls her Baby Olivia.. it's the name he is set on.However, It doesn't sound very good with our last name (Evangelist), and I don't necessarily like that it's one of the most popular baby girl names out there. My favorites are Harper and Hadley, both of which I've liked for a long time and he absolutely hates. We bought 3 baby books.. I highlighted names I liked, and he highlighted names he liked.. not a single name we each liked crossed paths. My question isn't on how to chose.. I just want opinions; Which of the 3 names do you like best?!

Frustrated new mommy-to-be.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Needing advice ASAP on baby name!

• Options

Well, my personal favorite is Olivia ;)

But you are right, it is getting more and more popular.  

Harper and Hadley are NMS at all.  But, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else here thinks :)  You guys have plenty of time, and will eventually come up with a name you both agree on!

Olivia wasn't anywhere near the top of my list, but DH and I each hated each others top 10, so we settled on a name that we both liked, even if it wasn't our first favorite.

• Options
    LOL...probably doesn't help the issue...but we have an Olivia too and love it!! I've never to this day known another Olivia in real life. Sure it's up on the list...but that's out of millions and millions of babies, so in the grand scheme, high ranking names now days aren't the same as back when we we born. Olivia had never crossed my mind. We had a hard time with named...finally one night I sat down with a book, wrote down names I liked, gave that to DH, and right away he was hooked on Olivia. It just felt right, and that was that.
    Ashley & Christian
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Olivia and Harper are BOTH crazy popular.

For some reason I'm not a huge fan of Olivia.  We also had a huge problem finding a girls name.  We tried all the themes - Bibical, family names, royalty.... then we went down the path of my husbands PASSION: Roman History.  Most Roman names are awful (Agropena...) but the first female name he said gave me a buzz and I was obsessed.  Livia.  She was the most powerful woman in Roman times, married to Ceasar Augustus, first emperor of Rome.  We saw her bust at the British History museum 9 months before we even conceived our firstborn (a boy)... the cursive capitol L is awesome.  It is simple, easy to spell, if she learns Spanish like I did, it's super easy.  My MIL traveled to Italy and they all complimented her on her granddaughters Italian name lol  Some nursery ladies call her "Livy" or she could decide to be "Liv" when she's older.

I HATE that people think it's made up.  (I'm really not a fan of made up names or names that are trying really hard.)  I also hate they think or hear "Olivia" but we knew that would happen.  I love the name so much.  

This story is of no help I guess.  You can't hate a name so I believe you guys have to start over.   Unless maybe Livia is better than Olivia, in which maybe it's the compromise name :P

• Options

I actually like Livia better than Olivia too. (if I had my way, our Liv would've been Alivia instead of Olivia, which is also not a made-up name)

Our Olivia goes by Liv or Livie most of the time anyway :) 

• Options
    ariel06ariel06 member

My advice would be to just keep making lists of what you both like.  DH and I had a really hard time agreeing on a name for DS1.  We finally found something we both like around 30 weeks.  For DS2, I thought we would be in for a similar fate, but around 24 weeks DH came up a name that he really liked (that he had already vetoed) and it's stuck ever since. 

Factoring middle names sometimes helps too.  We wanted family names for middle names which seemed to help narrow down our first name selections too.  Or pull up the Social Security top 100 names for last year.  We know we wanted something not in the top 25, but popular enough to make the list. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't like Harper (reminds me of a girl) or Hadley (not sure why) but don't love Oliva, so none :)
  • Options
    I am of no real help, but want to let you know we did not come up with a name until we were about to leave the hospital. 
  • Options
    I'm no help because well I have a boy...and I knew I was having a boy before we even found out so we only ever picked boy names...If we ever had another child and found out it was a girl I think I would cry because there really aren't any girl names I like at all...but I have about 10 more names for boys...
  • Options
    I like Olivia more than the other names. Here are a few other options that I really like: Ava, Lauren, Eleanor, Silvia, Sophia/Sophie, Genevieve. Just thought I'd throw a few others out there for you - not sure if it helps at all. Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have a boy, but DH and I both agreed that if we had a girl, she probably would have been Olivia!  I've recently started to like Olive a lot though.  It's similar, but not quite the same.  DH said it makes him think of Popeye...oh well!  My other favorite name was Lucy or Lucille.  Good luck.  You have plenty of time.  Don't stress.  My neighbor went to the hospital last night to have her baby and they still didn't have a name picked out.  THAT would worry me!
  • Options
    I am 19 weeks pregnant and finding out the sex of the baby next week.  If it is a boy, my husband and I are in COMPLETE disagreement for the names. It is still very early though so I would not stress about it too much.  It's not like we are delivering tomorrow.  My husband and I both like certain boy names for very different reasons however one thing that we agree upon is that it should be our decision, not based on what everyone else likes.  Good luck.  
  • Options

I love all three.  None of them sound bad with your last name. Why dont you put one he likes and one you like together for her full name! Like Olivia Harper or Olivia Hadley or Hadley Olivia.. I'm sure you get the Idea

Good luck!!!!

• Options

My favorite is Olivia. Harper and Hadley are NMS at all.

• Options

I like Olivia but it is too popular for me.   We have a boy and had trouble agreeing as well.  We each wrote down our top ten and got to veto up to five of the other person's top ten-the ones we really couldn't live with.  We then thought about the remaining names and after a couple of weeks had it down to two that we both liked- Dylan and Mason.  We made the final decision once he was born. 

I'm not a huge fan of Harper or Hadley- probably a bit too "new" for me.  Good luck!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"