Birth Stories

Brendan James has arrived! (unplanned c section)

I will start out by saying....what a ride. Whew....

On May 12th my doctor wanted me to check into L&D at 8PM and get started on a drug called Cyoplex (I think that was what it was called) to thin out my cervix...I was not showing real good progress on my own, baby high and progress slow so he wanted to get this started before any real complications arose. I agreed as I trusted my doctor.

Well I had the first half of the Cyoplex tablet inserted into my cervix at about 9PM....and was told the 2nd half would be inserted 4 hours later....the first 4 hours were a breeze didn't feel too much....after the second half of the tablet was inserted around 1AM I could feel cramping etc but not too bad....at 5AMish they checked me and I was STILL 50% effaced....regardless they started the pictocin....at this point I was about 2 cm....after the pictocin was started the contractions came on strong and were VERY uncomfortable and I tolerated these pretty much until the new nurse Peggy came in around 7:30AM....she was my angel...I loved her sooo sooo much....she came back around 8AM to check my progress and agreed I was about 3cm but not thinning out to much more and baby was still sitting high....I was in a lot of pain....I guess I am a big baby looking back on this now...she agreed it was time for the epidural...so within a half hour they came in and gave me that  and it was amazing...didn't feel a thing really. I actually hated getting my IV the most.

Well around 9AM....Peggy was checking me and noticed my little guys heart rate kept dropping with each contraction...he was still high and they didn;t want to break my water yet incase the cord might wrap around him soo....with a concerned look she was going to get ahold of my doctor....within 30 minutes he came in and observed the baby and checked me and informed that it was looking like we MAY have to do a c section and said he will have the nurse monitor me closely and he would be back in an hour to check me again....at this point the pitocin was turned off and nothing was really happening...NOT even 20 minutes later the nurse came back in checked the monitors smiled at me and didn't say a whole lot, then left and came back in with my doc and he told me I need to go back for a c section as baby is in trauma....I agreed and before I knew it I was getting more epidural pumped through me and I was being wheeled back to the room....I felt great the whole time and to be honest kind of relieved.....It all happened so fast.

I remember laying there with my husband behind me and the nurse next to me and we were talking and I asked if they cut me yet and they said sweetie we did that 5 minutes ago....I felt nothing....it was pretty sweet....I didn't even feel them pulling him out....

At 10:13AM they pulled him out and I heard the most precious cry and started crying myself. I WAS SOOOO happy for it to be over and to meet our little man. It was quite a ride to say the least. They kept him for observation most of the day because he actually had a bowel movement inside of me so they wanted to monitor his breathing and his lungs and funny enough pooped again as soon as they cleaned him off...LOL...gets that from his Daddy.

The nurses and my doc agreed he pry never would have come on his own due to him never dropping and well me not progressing well.....only the Lord knows if I had waited for him to come on his own what the outcome would be. 

I had such a positive experience and I am just happy my Brendan is here finally. It has been a rough week getting the hang of being a Mommy and taking care of a newborn post c section.....I have been a little emotional and stressed...I am so glad my husband has loads of experience with babies (siblings from remarried parents) I am not sure I could have done this on my own.

So Brendan James was born Thursday May 13th at 10:13am, 7 lbs, 11 ounces, 21 inches long...he actually gained weight in the hospital stay and is doing great!

Good Luck to all you ladies. Any questions just ask. :O)

Re: Brendan James has arrived! (unplanned c section)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"