Military Families

s/o Don't agree...

This left me flabbergasted today, and I just thought I would share it with you guys.

I met with a new counselor today for the first time. We were going over my history and family life stats. When she found out my husband was in the Navy, she asked me if the Navy guys hated President Obama as much as the Army guys do. I thought that was weird enough, but when I explained that I could not speak for all of the Navy, but that my husband was happy with how President Obama has handled the military thus far, she became very agitated. She told me my family needed to consider that he was trying to cut our pay, and that he was not in support of the military. I thought this was wildly inappropriate and quite bizarre.

I am not going back to see her again, but it is not solely based on that exchange. She was kind of a space cadet, and wanted to talk about her family and grandchildren a little too much.  

So, do you guys think her behavior was inappropriate?

Re: s/o Don't agree...

• ames71ames71 member
    Wow. Her behavior was extremely inappropriate. It's unprofessional for a counselor to discuss political opinions with a client. Even if you had openly agreed with her, it's still a conversation that shouldn't happen in that setting.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Um yea, I think so..

I don't like Obama, but I wouldn't sit there and go off on why you shouldn't like him, that's my opinion I'm not going to sit there and force it on someone else.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageames17:
    Wow. Her behavior was extremely inappropriate. It's unprofessional for a counselor to discuss political opinions with a client. Even if you had openly agreed with her, it's still a conversation that shouldn't happen in that setting.

That's what I thought, too. I just tend to write off people a little too quickly sometimes though, and wanted to see what you guys thought.

My husband thought she was unprofessional and told me I should let her partner know, but I am not that fired up about it. I don't care about her opinions, I just do not want to be seeing someone so unprofessional.

• Extremely inappropriate. 

I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to go back even if your only basis was that statement.

Ridiculous.  

5/100
    "So if you decide to date the guy from Applebees instead will your new SN be "mypearlshisapron?" Your new sig can be "putting the ho in nachos.""- DNBeach12
    PersonalMilestone
  • Speaking as a therapist, she should not be sharing personal opinions with you like that. That is a major boundary violation, and she doesnt know what your opinion is about it (not that it matters).

As you experienced, that is totally offsetting and not adding to the therapeutic relationship

imageMilitary Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • imageH4'sFan:

imageames17:

That's what I thought, too. I just tend to write off people a little too quickly sometimes though, and wanted to see what you guys thought.

My husband thought she was unprofessional and told me I should let her partner know, but I am not that fired up about it. I don't care about her opinions, I just do not want to be seeing someone so unprofessional.

I personally would tell the partner. its an ethical issue. 

imageMilitary Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • Definitely inappropriate!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Shouldn't your counselor being more interested in discussing YOU than her grandchildren?!  Wow.

I think you have the right idea, if it wasn't completely offensive just find a new counselor.  But I absolutely agree with you that her behavior was inappropriate. 

• I am a counselor, and her behavior is completely unacceptable and unethical. I don't know anyone in the field who would EVER make comments like that, EVER. Do you mind if I ask what her credentials were? Also, this is so wildly inappropriate that her supervisor should really hear about it, and I would strongly recommend contacting them.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, and I hope you find a good match soon!

• imagekristin2t:

I am a counselor, and her behavior is completely unacceptable and unethical. I don't know anyone in the field who would EVER make comments like that, EVER. Do you mind if I ask what her credentials were? Also, this is so wildly inappropriate that her supervisor should really hear about it, and I would strongly recommend contacting them.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, and I hope you find a good match soon!

She is a Ph.D., P.A.

Thanks for all of your advice. I am considering letting her partner know, just so maybe she will not do this to someone else.

• Completely inappropriate.
  • Her behavior was completely inappropriate and crossed a major line.  Does she work independently or within a practice?  If she has a boss, I would contact them.  She must have a professional license.  I would look into submitting a complaint to the state board.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Very inappropriate and I would say something to her partner. I hope you find someone who is a better fit for you.

PS. Your daughter is SO cute!

• Visiting from MN :)

SUPER inappropriate.  Klassy lady.

• I agree this is not appropriate at all.  i would actually probably take it a step further and report her to her partner, company etc because if she is doing this to you then she is probably having similar inapropriate conversations with others.  I always feel it is better to go on record.  You might not have had to deal with it if someone else before you had reported it....
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"