Illinois Babies
Options

Family-friendly neighborhoods within 30 mins of downtown?

Right now we live in Lake County but since DH works downtown, we want to move closer to the city so he can spend some time with DS in the evenings instead of sitting on the train for hours.

We'd be renting. Any suggestions on nice, affordable neighborhoods for young families?

We're looking at Northbrook-area so far, but other than that, I'm stumped. Thanks in advance!

Re: Family-friendly neighborhoods within 30 mins of downtown?

• Options

I live in Deerfield, which is right next to Northbrook.  I love it here!!!  It's a nice community with excellent schools.  Nice, but not pretentious, you know?  There are some apartments and townhouses near the train station in downtown Deerfield.  I don't know much about them, but I know they exist.

Also, the Glen in Glenview is a cute shopping area that has apartments and townhouses for rent, though I suspect they are probably pretty expensive.  Might be worth checking out, though!

HTH!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelelekay:

I live in Deerfield, which is right next to Northbrook.  I love it here!!!  It's a nice community with excellent schools.  Nice, but not pretentious, you know?  There are some apartments and townhouses near the train station in downtown Deerfield.  I don't know much about them, but I know they exist.

Also, the Glen in Glenview is a cute shopping area that has apartments and townhouses for rent, though I suspect they are probably pretty expensive.  Might be worth checking out, though!

HTH!

Thanks - I'll definitely check that out. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really like evanston.  You can take the el or metra from evanston to downtown.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was going to say Evanston too--or if you are looking to live in the city of Chicago, look at some of the neighborhoods on the north west side--Edgebrook, Sauganash, and Edison Park are all very family friendly.

Will baby #3 be another girl?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

]

• Options
    JJ1973JJ1973 member
    There are tons of nice neighborhoods within the city. We have one on the way and live in Ukrainian Village. We're pretty happy and have no plans of moving anytime soon. We'll see how the baby thing goes. It takes me 10-15 minutes to get to work and home in the morning (I work in the medical district), which is a definite perk of living in the city. There are many other neighborhoods up north of where I am that are very residential-like, I'd recommend taking a drive through the city to check out a variety of neighborhoods. I also know many people who live in Oak Park or Evanston, and all are very happy.
  • Options

We're in Winnetka-- we got a great deal on our house though.  Evanston and Wilmette are both great too.  I'm just north of them, and I can get to Chicago in 20-35 min., depending on traffic ( I work in the city).  Schools are great, and there are lots of great restaurants.  Good luck!

• Options
    I for one prefer the northshore suburbs, anything that is on the trainline that runs along lake michigan.  However, I have to agree that the Glen is very cute, but there's still a lot of traffic in that area.  I would think Deerfield would still be a little north for you, if you are looking there you might as well look at Highland Park as well, near Ravinia but it's still Lake County.  I have to agree with the Evanston referal, it has everything, a University (I love university towns), it's on the beach, has an excellent park district, as well as both suburban and city trains to get into the city and tons of restaurant and shopping.  And I know for a fact that there are plenty of rentals, both apartments and houses available.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options

Do you want to live IN the city of Chicago or a surrounding burb?  There's a difference. 

Old Irving Park is nice and Quiet and right by 90/94 and the Metra and the El.  We like it.

And keep in mind some neighborhoods mentioned have not so nice areas to them (as any place does! some are just more than others)   I suggest getting in touch with a Realtor if that's an option. And let them know what your looking for as far as neighborhood, schools and distance to xyz.

• Options

I live in Oak Park and love it.  It's very family-friendly for the most part and is easily accessible from the city.  I work in the loop and it's about a 30 minute El ride.

Good luck with your move!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"