South Jersey Babies
Options

Gloucester County, can we talk?

Okay girlies, I want the scoop from those of you that live in the GloCo area.  I am in rural Mullica Hill - love it - but I'm fairly unfamiliar with the area and could use some pointers on a few things, if you have thoughts...I'm doing my homework and google searching can sometimes be off the mark.

1.  Baby shower locations - looking for something upscale, possibly outdoors -- I'd like a luncheon with really great food but I want a really great atmosphere as well.  I'm open to Camden County as well, since it will be a middle point for many of my guests coming from the city and from Northern NJ. 

2.  Hypnobirthing classes - have you taken one?  Where?  What'd you think?  How much?

3.  Classes in general - have you taken the newborn or breastfeeding classes at Kennedy?  Thoughts?  If somewhere else, where and what did you think?

4.  Have you heard of any good doulas in our area?  Did you use one in prior or current pregnancy?  How much does a doula run in our area?

I'd love any recommendations or insight from second time moms or moms farther along than I am :)  Thanks ladies!

Re: Gloucester County, can we talk?

• Options

Morning!!!  I am not far from you at all, right down the Mantua Pike in West Deptford!  But i am in your town just abuot every weekend hitting the Amish market :-)

Have you been to the Riverwinds Restaurant in West Deptford?  They have private rooms for showers, beautiful location, overlooking the river (so not quite outdoors but the back wall is all windows so gives an open feel).  Food is great!!  And it is really easy to get to, right off of 295.

I delivered at Virtua Voorhees.  LOVED everything about the hospital, my docs, the nurses there.  Took a breastfeeding class and a general baby prep class (with hospital tour etc).   Classes were great, not a lot of goofy BS, just lots of good info. We did the one day baby class instead of 4 week nights spread out, so it was a long day but it was worth it!

Don't know anything about doulas and don't think I know anyone in our area who has ever used one.  Anything else you want some info on, just ask!!!

• Options

Welcome!

1. Riverwinds is a good suggestion from pp. Landmark Americana in Glassboro has a back room as well that is mostly windows and has a back patio.

2. n/a

3. I'm taking the breastfeeding class at Elmer on June 1 and it's been well recommended.

4. No ideas, but good luck!  I have a midwife who I plan to rely on for a lot of the doula skills.

Where are you being treated? I would guess a lot of the docs in the area would have better recs than us on some of these topics. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies!  I'm with University Doctors (their midwives, mostly, unless I need to work with an OB) and I'm delivering at Kennedy.  I'll ask my MW about the classes and doula, duh, I totally didn't even think of that.

As for the shower location suggestions - thanks.  I've never been to Riverwinds but will check it out.  Landmark I have been too -- I'm thinking a little bit snootier than that :)  We used to drink there when we were in grad school - I associate it with that!  (haha, at least I'm honest!)

Thanks for the great info!

• Options

My family had my shower at terra nova in wash twp and it was AWESOME! We had the entire back sunroom to ourselves..it was chilly so they turned on the gas fireplace..very cozy!

I have also been to events at toscana (sp) in Mullica Hill and the food is great! We are considering that place for our baptism

Also the Pitman Counrty club has a REALLY nice restaurant and the food is really good..I had my bridal shower there and myu cousin just had her baby shower and it was very nice

I have no advice on kennedy classes b/c i delivered at Virtua..I took a BFing class and no birth class b/c i knew we were having a scheduled c-section due to complications

• Options
    Awesome, thanks so much.  I will check those places out.  Toscana was on the list, it is literally moments from my house -- good food and certainly convenient enough!  I hadn't really heard of the other two places but now I"ll have to look them up!  Thanks so much, again!
  • Options
    My rehersal dinner was at Toscana, it was awesome!!!  But the room they have for private parties isn't that big.  But the food was amazing and there was a ridiculous amount of it and it is BYOB, which can definitely be a cost saver!
  • Options

I think Filomena Lakeview in Deptford is great for showers, but they don't have an outdoor setting.

We're considering Bogey's in Pitman for my SIL's shower - we're actually going tonight to check it out and talk to the owner.

• Options
    Does Bogey's/Pitman CC have a website?  I don't see one but I'm going to have to check it out.  Thanks :)
  • Options
    Sweet; thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"