Babies: 3 - 6 Months

if you have a teething (or think you do) 3.5-4 month old

what are the symptoms besides actually seeing the tooth coming out?

I suspect that my LO is teething but he is only 3.5 months old. Here are the symptoms:

1. More fussy these two days.

2. wanting to nurse more

3. gnawing on his fist like crazy (like he wants to shove his whole hand in there)

4. Gnaws on my forearm is it happens to be there, and my finger if I put it in his mouth

5. lots of drooling

6. liquidy poop (although that could also be BF poop)

please share your experience! thank you!

Re: if you have a teething (or think you do) 3.5-4 month old

• DD has been Teething since 2.5 months! She has 2 teeth in the back already and We have had all the same symptoms as you mentioned but her gums also swell up  from the teeth pushing down. They were also rather red and almost bruised looking.

She also had a slight temp. 

• I also have a 3.5 month old and have similar symptoms.  Sometimes it really seems like he's teething, but his pedi warned us that many times it looks like it way before it actually is.  But here are our symptoms:

1. Drool, drool, drool

2. Chews on everything and his fingers are constantly in his mouth

3. way out of character fussiness

4. low grade fever

5. "gumming" at his bottle instead of eating

But, it does seem too early, so I'm not convinced.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Loading the player...
  • Mine does all this and gnaws on her teethers and when she runs a temp I give her some baby tylenol.  I also give her baby orajel; which helps until the tylenol kicks in.
  • Drool, drool everywhere.

Knaws on anything that comes within 1 foot of his mouth.

Loves it when I rub on his gums.

Fussier than normal.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• EXACT SAME experience but the pedi told us that she isn't teething (felt her gums)!  So WTH is going on? SHe said that babies at that age explore things with their mouths and drool as a result.  the crankiness she said is just a '4-month old thing' and very common as is waking up at night again (sleep regression).. for the nursing, she said that babies this age get really distracted while eating bc they are finally able to truly look around and are so curious that they don't take as much at each feed as they need so they end up nursing more....hmmmm.....don't know if i believe this all.  still doesn't explain why she feels the need to CHOMP on everything and not just stick things in her mouth...
  • DD has a tooth coming in (I can see the very tip of it).

Her symptoms are:

-fussy

-liquidy poop (she formula feeds)

-chewing on everything (my shoulder, her fist, her arm)

-lots of drooling...It looks like a river running down her body

-wants to eat more

• imageShari 86:

DD has been Teething since 2.5 months! She has 2 teeth in the back already and We have had all the same symptoms as you mentioned but her gums also swell up  from the teeth pushing down. They were also rather red and almost bruised looking.

She also had a slight temp. 

this exactly. We also have 2 teeth in the back - I thought that was so odd! 

• thank you! it is so helpful to hear from all of you

when I run my finger on his gum, I might feel some hard ridges all the way to the back... but I thought the front teeth are supposed to come in first?

I guess I will just keep checking

• Mine does all that but I really don't think he is teething. I can't feel anything on his gums and he's not running a low grade fever.
  • amt1586amt1586 member

All of that except for the liquidy poop. She has even learned how to pull her paci out just to the tip and chew on it. I bought her the playtex teethers https://www.teebop.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=PLA05847-PP  and she loves them! She just gnaws away at them and she can hold onto the handle pretty well. Good luck!

Jessie Rose was born on 01/26/10 at 37wks, she weighed 7.9lbs and was 19" long! Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagekelbel527:

I also have a 3.5 month old and have similar symptoms.  Sometimes it really seems like he's teething, but his pedi warned us that many times it looks like it way before it actually is.  But here are our symptoms:

1. Drool, drool, drool

2. Chews on everything and his fingers are constantly in his mouth

3. way out of character fussiness

4. low grade fever

5. "gumming" at his bottle instead of eating

But, it does seem too early, so I'm not convinced.

2 weeks ago we had all of these but #5 as well as spitting up way more than usual.  It started on Monday night and on Friday she had her two bottom teeth.  Prior to 2 weeks ago, she had been drooling for weeks before that.  Sunday night we started the whole process of #1-4 plus spitting up, so I fully expect more teeth to pop out anytime soon.  Yesterday her temp was 99.2 and today it is up to 99.6. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"