Health & Exercise
Options

Couch to 5K

Have you used it?  Pros/Cons?

My biggest question is that I don't have the iPod touch.  Just the old school regular nano.  Can I used the podcast while still listening to my own music and will it tell me when I run and when to walk?  Is there a program that will do this?  I tried the C25K in the past and I found their music too boring.

Re: Couch to 5K

• Options

I love it!  I tell everyone I know who wants to start running to follow it.  I started it after DS was born and just ran my first half marathon a couple weeks ago.  The pros are that it eases you into running.  The first couple weeks, I couldn't imagine running longer than 5 minutes at a time, but it just got easier and easier.

I don't have an iPod...I'm anti-iPod.  I have a Sony mp3 player and was able to listen to the podcasts.  He does tell you when to run and walk.  Without staring at a watch, I'm not sure how you would be able to listen to your own music and be told when to stop and start running.  I didn't think the music was the best (certainly not something I would download and listen to on my own), but it was good enough to run to.  I really don't know how I would've been able to do the program without the podcasts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm doing it and loving it!  I don't know anything about the podcasts, but I usually don't run with music.  I just use my watch, or some of the workouts give you distances and then you can do it on the treadmill or on a track.  I highly recommend it, good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    how much does it cost to download the podcasts?
  • Options

I did C25K a couple years ago, and it was amazing. It literally taught me to love running, when I had never been a runner before.

The podcasts are free, but I agree they're a little boring. If you're playing the podcast on the iPod, you won't be able to play other music at the same time. My suggestion would be to use a watch with a stop-watch or timer feature. What you might want to do is use the podcasts for the first few weeks where you're doing many short intervals, so it's easier to keep track of, then once you start doing 10 or 15 minute runs, switch to using your regular music and timing, since it's pretty easy to time at that point. (That's what I ended up doing).

GL! I really think C25K is one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm currently doing this program and I love it!  And I just keep track of the time myself. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"