Parenting

I'm beginning to really dislike DH's family.....

Angry I sent out e-mails back in December saying that Nathan's First Communion was going to be May 16.  This is a big deal to us and to him.  He was all excited that everyone was going to be here for a big party for him.  I told DH to call and find out who was coming (invites went out 2 weeks ago, no one RSVP'd)  only his parents are coming. 

DS sincerly thought all of DH's family was going to be here, (2 sisters, 2 brothers) when I tell him only Grandma and Grandpa are coming he is going to be crushed.  This is not the first time, and I shouldn't expect it to be the last.  I just don't even want to invite them down here anymore. (they live 2 hours away)

Re: I'm beginning to really dislike DH's family.....

• Why would your DS "sincerely think" they were all coming if they didn't RSVP?  I'm guessing you misled him out of wishful thinking.

And BTW, I think you are largely to blame.  You sent an email in December and then didn't make any contact with these "oh-so-important" visitors until you sent an invitation 2 weeks ago for an event next week?  You or your DH couldn't have picked up the phone and called these close family members?  Maybe next time you'll plan better and be more welcoming? 

• imagegibs:

Why would your DS "sincerely think" they were all coming if they didn't RSVP?  I'm guessing you misled him out of wishful thinking.

And BTW, I think you are largely to blame.  You sent an email in December and then didn't make any contact with these "oh-so-important" visitor until you sent an invitation 2 weeks ago for an event next week?  You or your DH couldn't have picked up the phone and called these close family members?  Maybe next time you'll plan better and be more welcoming? 

They are his aunts and uncles, yes, he assumed they would be here.  Again, being DH's brothers and sisters, he is in constant contact with them.  They have had ongoing knowledge of this event.  DS even called one aunt and told her all about the suit he picked out for himself for his commiunion. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageknmommy:
    imagegibs:

Why would your DS "sincerely think" they were all coming if they didn't RSVP?  I'm guessing you misled him out of wishful thinking.

And BTW, I think you are largely to blame.  You sent an email in December and then didn't make any contact with these "oh-so-important" visitor until you sent an invitation 2 weeks ago for an event next week?  You or your DH couldn't have picked up the phone and called these close family members?  Maybe next time you'll plan better and be more welcoming? 

They are his aunts and uncles, yes, he assumed they would be here.  Again, being DH's brothers and sisters, he is in constant contact with them.  They have had ongoing knowledge of this event.  DS even called one aunt and told her all about the suit he picked out for himself for his commiunion. 

that's lovely.  Did any of them ever say they were actually coming?? 

• Dont mind Giblets. She hasnt had her booze yet. Gibsy, be nice!

I am sorry for your DS. Sounds like DH's family is a big let down.

The people that really matter will be there, remember that.

• I think the people that these types of events effects think it is much more important than others.  I would have no trouble missing a first communion or baptism.  I don't look at those things as important as a wedding, funeral or a babies first birthday.  Especially if I have to drive 2 hours one way to get there.
  • YodajoYodajo member

I'm sorry.  That is really disappointing. 

In our family, a baptism and communion are big deals.  I would definitely expect immediate family to be there.  We have one next weekend for my niece and I have to work.  I moved my last patient up so I wouldn't be late.  It is an important milestone.   Maybe not for friends, but immediate family?  Definitely. 

DS1 10-06 and DS2 9-08 and baby #3 EDD 9-05-12
    imageimage
  • InvBKInvBK member

Well, I'm with you.  I think it is absolutely awful to miss your niece or nephew's 1st holy communion.  Awful!  Especially when they had so much notice.  And they only live 2 hours away!?  Your poor DS.  And no, I don't think you are to blame at all.  How much more notice could you possibly give his family??? 

I would maybe understand if they have the types of jobs where it is just impossible to get off from work on a weekend day, but with that much notice it shouldn't  be too difficult to make it work!  I'm sorry they won't be there, but honestly I've found that my kids' baptisms were so much better when only the people who really wanted to be there were there. 

• Can you invite some of his friends families instead?  These things are not a big deal to me.  I have gone to the party for my brothers two kids, but I don't go to the church.  No one other than my parents come though.  I probably would not drive two hours for it.  The regular holidays are plenty for me. 
  • I hate to agree with gibs, but I kind of do. Not that I would have worded my response so harshly. But I would never start getting my child's hopes up about people attending any event before I knew they were definitely coming, not a birthday, a baptism, anything.

I'm sorry you're disappointed, though, and hope he doesn't feel too bad about it.

imageimage
    Alex (11/14/06) and Nate (5/25/10)
    "Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." - Rev. Forrest Church
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"