Oregon Babies

XP: Used Madela Breastpump - thoughts?

XP from 3rd Tri/Breastfeeding board:  Another attorney in my office just offered me her Madela PISA for FREE!!!  I am so excited.  It is a couple of years old and has just been sitting in her closet.  I have seen other posts about buying used pumps but getting replacement tubing, etc. for sanitation purposes...I will start researching now, but was hoping you ladies could narrow it down for me.  Also, I know some people say it is fine to go used as long as you replace the appropriate parts...are there any reasons you would NOT do this? 

Re: XP: Used Madela Breastpump - thoughts?

• I thought A LOT about getting a used pump but ultimately decided to buy a new one because of how unsanitary it was-it *is* other peoples body fluid. BUT, once I bought it and used it, I was just sick with how much money I had spent on it when all I had to do was replace a few things on a used one and it would have saved me a LOT of money.

I say GO FOR IT!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Yeah - I think I am at least going to have a look at it.  She said if I didn't want it to do whatever I want with it.  I wouldn't buy one from a stranger, but since it is someone I know it makes me feel better.  I have found some reputable websites with replacement parts from $19 - $39 (a far cry from shelling out $280).  Either way, I still have about 11 weeks until she is scheduled to arrive and will just BF while I am on leave, so I have time to get a new one if need be.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you replace the tubing you are only buying the motor! I bought mine from a friend!!

Do it! Save yourself some money!

• I always hear it's not the best unless it's one that has a closed system which the PISA does not. But I would probably do it anyway. The only reason I bought mine new was that my health care insurance reimbursed 100% of it.
  • I have a used PIS (not the advanced) that i have used for almost 10 mos now. i don't know the differences between the two...but as far as i can tell this one has a closed system. i got it from my sister in law. with new parts none of her milk could have contaminated what i was pumping. do it. it's such a money saver. 
  • I took a used one from my cousin and felt totally fine about it since I replaced all the little parts. I have since purchased my own since I was pumping more than expected and the one she had given me was just a single. I don't see a problem with taking it, especially since ots FREE! If you end up not liking it or struggle with the fact that it is used, you can buy your own later.
  • I would totally buy a used pump, from someone that I knew well, a sister or a close friend.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The only scary part about buying a used one is that HIV can be passed through breast milk, but if you know the person and they are healthy, DO IT! Just be sure to get new tubing.
  • imageAngelcake:

I thought A LOT about getting a used pump but ultimately decided to buy a new one because of how unsanitary it was-it *is* other peoples body fluid. BUT, once I bought it and used it, I was just sick with how much money I had spent on it when all I had to do was replace a few things on a used one and it would have saved me a LOT of money.

I say GO FOR IT!   

Ditto. I thought it was so gross to use a used breast pump... until I bought my own spankin' new one and saw how it really works. The mechanical part is really the expensive part - the tubing, etc that comes into any contact at all with milk is really cheap to replace. I'd totally go used if I had to do it again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • BTW I buy my replacement parts at Tuality Hospital's little store where they sell medical equipment and its all quite inexpensive. I think the tubing was about $10. I got breast shields for free when I gave birth at Kaiser Sunnyside and they even gave me two different sizes. And make sure to buy extra little white membranes. If you lose them or they tear they can be difficult to find. BTW, when you have your baby ask the LC to measure you for the correct size shield. Apparently the size that comes with the pump is quite small and only works for about 20% of women. So wish I had known that last time. Good Luck!
  • imageamyknjones:
    The only scary part about buying a used one is that HIV can be passed through breast milk, but if you know the person and they are healthy, DO IT! Just be sure to get new tubing.

This is technically true, but HIV can only live a few hours outside the body -- as can most viruses.

I also got a used one from a friend (who I know is healthy). I got new parts from Amazon, but you could also just boil and sterilize the old parts if you wanted to. I've also read you should take off the front cover and wipe down the diaphragm on the inside.

Medela says they are "single user", but there are no actual reported cases of any shared infections, just theory. And it makes sense for them to say that and sell more pumps. :)

The hair grows in thick where the horn used to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"