Health & Exercise

Eating to make better milk?

Did anyone receive a guideline from their LC or doc on what/how much to eat when breastfeeding? Mine told me just to continue like I was in pregnancy, but I was hoping for something more specific. Anyone know of particular foods that are extra good for while breastfeeding? Sometimes feel like I'm walking in the dark. TIA

Re: Eating to make better milk?

• I didn't really need advice since I'm a registered dietitian and a college teacher (of nutrition), but I do agree to an extent with your LC and doc.  In terms of what to eat, the same food groups are encouraged:  whole grains, vegetables, fruits, dry beans, lean proteins, low-fat dairy or subs, and more healthful sources of fat like nuts and seeds, olive oil, avocado, etc.  Lactating women do actually need more calories than during pregnancy (~!500 more kcals/day over pre-pregnancy needs).  If you'd like more info, I suggest you meet with a registered dietitian (RD). Many are lactation consultants or specialize in nutrition for pregnancy/lactation.  You can find one in your area via: www.eatright.org or possibly get a referral from your doc.  Best wishes and congrats!
  • imageCanadianGurl:

Did anyone receive a guideline from their LC or doc on what/how much to eat when breastfeeding? Mine told me just to continue like I was in pregnancy, but I was hoping for something more specific. Anyone know of particular foods that are extra good for while breastfeeding? Sometimes feel like I'm walking in the dark. TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

• imageCanadianGurl:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"