Pregnant after a Loss

CPW: Kid leashes

https://calaine.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/kid-leash.jpg[Poll]
Missed MC 1 - 11/21/2006 Missed MC 2 - 03/10/2008 BFP # 3 09/18/09 - Gabriel David born 05/11/2010 baby

Re: CPW: Kid leashes

• I think I'll reserve a decision on this one until I see my kid's demeanor.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • babes12babes12 member

that pic looks so funny. but seriously having a child now and taking him out is the scariest thing if he's not in his stroller. 

i took him to lunch and we were finishing up eating so he got down off his chair as i got the stroller ready, that fast he was out of my sight!!  i near had a heart-attack but he was at my side and i just didn't look down.  LOL!  if we did ever go to disney world or someplace like that and he didn't sit in the stroller he'd be forced to hold my hand at all times!!!!!!  it's very, very scary!!!!!!  i can't tell you how fast your heart will sink if your child disappears. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • Loading the player...
  • I used one with me ds a couple times.. it was mostly when I did not have access to a stroller and would be walking a lot so could not carry him very long.. it kinda worked, kept him close but he would pull on it and fall over so did not use it much..
  • I will if I have to.  I can see how somebody with 2 or 3 little kids would need to when they're out in order to keep everyone close by.  My mom used them for us when we were little.  Although then they weren't an entire harness like they are now, they just attached to your wrist.
  • I would never use one . . . but I sometimes wish I could on DD - she is a WILD child
  • I think they look silly, but watch Nancy Grace for an hour and you might consider it.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • str8otastr8ota member
    It depends on the situation and the child, I do not have a problem using one if it keeps my child safe.
  • I chose other. More than likely I will use a leash. I have used them on my nieces when we go to crowded places like the zoo. It isn't because I can't control them, though. It gives the child more freedom than a stroller or having their arm over their head while I hold his hand which gets tiring. You try it.

People who have an issue with this boggle my mind, really. It isn't like it is a prong collar on the kid's neck.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• The one pictured above I really don't like.

DS2 was so hyper and always running around and running away that I did have to resort to something when he was out of his stroller, so I opted for a "leash" that velcroed around one of his wrists, and the other around mine. He was able to walk around, but not get away. We rarely used it, but is was nice to have. 

Marie, wife to Ron, mom to DS
  • they make semi cute ones.....semi...kind of.

• imagepepomntpat:

I chose other. More than likely I will use a leash. I have used them on my nieces when we go to crowded places like the zoo. It isn't because I can't control them, though. It gives the child more freedom than a stroller or having their arm over their head while I hold his hand which gets tiring. You try it.

People who have an issue with this boggle my mind, really. It isn't like it is a prong collar on the kid's neck.

this exactly.

• I am totally for them.  Though only in certain settings...mall, zoo, airport type of thing.  I would rather use this then lose my child because they wandered off.  Its not like I am going to drag them with it.
  • Absolutely not! I will not leash my child like a pet. I want DS to learn to listen and follow instructions rather than being stuck. Since he was old enough to walk we have taught him to hold our hand in parking lots, streets and those kind of things. He does sometimes get ahead of us in the mall, but we always make sure he is in eye sight and call him back if he gets further than we like. Also we have been known to strap him in his stroller if he doesn't listen or DH will put him on his shoulders too- fun for DS and he's contained!
  • I guess it would depend on the situation. If I was going somewhere like Disneyland and there were NO other options, I would. 

My mom used them when we were little. They were like bracelets attached to an old cord from a corded telephone (you know the kind that coils up but then can stretch back out).

• imageMrs0815:

they make semi cute ones.....semi...kind of.

The moms I know who've used 'em have used fun little ones like this. The kids love 'em (a little backpack). I wouldn't use 'em all the time, but if I were somewhere particularly crowded (amusement park, for example), I think I'd use one. I'd rather look like a loon than lose my child for fear of what other parents might think of it.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a pink poodle for one DD and a brown monkey for the other.  I can't tell you how wonderful they are! My DH is in law enforcement, and the types of people he deals with on a daily basis scares me to DEATH! It's so much easier for them to remember what the kids and I look like than for me to remember what they look like.  So i'm going to do anything possible to prevent anyone snatching them!

Also, my youngest is a "wild woman" and I'm so afraid that she'd run out in front of a car without it.  And to be perfectly honest, It really annoys me when other people just let their children run around everywhere!

Proud Mama of 3 beautiful daughters and 1 amazing son - ages 8, 5, 3, and 1

1st m/c - 1/12/07 at 5 weeks 50 mg Clomid - BFP 8/22/09, 2nd m/c - 8/24/09 at 5 weeks 50 mg Clomid - BFP!!!! 11/16/09 EDD: 7/29/10
    TEAGAN ELIZABETH BORN JULY 14, 2010! 6 LBS 13 OZ AND 20 INCHES!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

50 mg Clomid - BFP!! 8/3/12, EDD: 4/14/13 Beta #1 at 11 DPO - 24. Spotting like crazy, OB thinks m/c #3 is imminent. Beta #2 at 21 DPO - 1,899!! u/s at 5 weeks 2 days showed a gestational sac measuring right on track! WOOHOO! PLEASE STICK, MY LITTLE MIRACLE!
    3/28/13 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRAYSON JOSEPH! born at 37 weeks 4 days, 7 lbs 13.8 oz and 20 inches!

Lilypie - (GzVD)

• imageMrs0815:

they make semi cute ones.....semi...kind of.

This is the one my oldest DD has!! Its her "monkey backpack!" She loves it SOOO much she begs for us to put it on her! (she's old enough now we usually don't use the tail for her, except if the place is horribly crowded!)

Proud Mama of 3 beautiful daughters and 1 amazing son - ages 8, 5, 3, and 1

1st m/c - 1/12/07 at 5 weeks 50 mg Clomid - BFP 8/22/09, 2nd m/c - 8/24/09 at 5 weeks 50 mg Clomid - BFP!!!! 11/16/09 EDD: 7/29/10
    TEAGAN ELIZABETH BORN JULY 14, 2010! 6 LBS 13 OZ AND 20 INCHES!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

50 mg Clomid - BFP!! 8/3/12, EDD: 4/14/13 Beta #1 at 11 DPO - 24. Spotting like crazy, OB thinks m/c #3 is imminent. Beta #2 at 21 DPO - 1,899!! u/s at 5 weeks 2 days showed a gestational sac measuring right on track! WOOHOO! PLEASE STICK, MY LITTLE MIRACLE!
    3/28/13 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRAYSON JOSEPH! born at 37 weeks 4 days, 7 lbs 13.8 oz and 20 inches!

Lilypie - (GzVD)

• Only for really crowded places with lots of walking, like theme parks or the airport.
  • Having been doing the daycare thing for a while and learning the differences in kids personalities I don't judge anyone for using one, but I would never.  Although I may be spoiled with my well behaved DD.  She's never taken off in public where I've seen some kids in my care run into the street to get mom's attention.  DD will hold my hand when in parking lots, streets or crowded stores. 

She often comes to me to hold my hand telling me it's to keep me from getting lost.

• I am not against them, and would never think to judge someone for using one unless they were using it as a babysitter and ignoring their child. Used properly, I think they are good way to allow heavily monitored independence. Plus, it can be hard on the back to hold a little one's hand for an extended period of time depending on your height. I think the leash idea is great for nature walks around the neighborhood and such if it suits the parent's and child's personalities.

I don't see it at all as an alternative to teaching obedience. Unless you plan to drag or yank on the child, words--and respect for you-- will be what keeps them at the right pace, distance from you, etc.

• imagepepomntpat:

I chose other. More than likely I will use a leash. I have used them on my nieces when we go to crowded places like the zoo. It isn't because I can't control them, though. It gives the child more freedom than a stroller or having their arm over their head while I hold his hand which gets tiring. You try it.

This.  I swore I never would until I had an active DD who, at 18-24 months needed to walk 1-2 miles per day and we lived on a busy street.  After a month or so on the leash, she knew well how close she needed to be to me and never needed it again.

For us it was a training device for the transition from stroller to walking, and since we did so very early, it was a necessity.  A 24 mo old doesn't understand the danger of roads.   

• We have in the past.  Like taking a curious, walking 1 year old across the country with a layover in a Las Vegas airport with lots of blinking machines.  Or taking a 2 year old to Disneyland.

I would rather my kid walk and get some exercise if it's an all day thing than be in a stroller.  Her hands got sweaty super easy, and she loved her puppy backpack.

*~*Mommy to*~*
    BFP#1 Kaitlyn 11-17-04
    BFP #2 Matthew pPROM 23w5d 06-03-07, b/33 weeks 8-6-07, d/10-15-07 SIDS,
    BFP #3 m/c 8 weeks 2/20/09, BFP #4 m/c no hb 6w4d, m/c 9w4d, D&C 11w2d, BFP #5 C/P 12/18/09 after BFP- 9dpo
    BFP #6 Samantha- 11-9-10
    BFP #7 4/20/12 21 DPO beta: 2382 29 DPO beta: 23000! HB 6w2d 116 bpm due Christmas day!
    This Momma's Journey
    ~Today I am pregnant and I love my baby~ BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"