Baby Names
Options

Maybe she'll just be nameless...

What happens when we simply can not agree on a name? I know exactly what I want to name her and my boyfriend hates it. He throws out suggestions and I hate them. Our styles are just very very different. Its too the point where we never talk about it and while we have plenty of time left I truly can not see us finding something we both love and that someone is going to have to settle. Maybe we can box it out? I think my crazy hormones will give me a slight edge!

Re: Maybe she'll just be nameless...

• Options
    I have heard people to get 2 baby name books...one for the guy and one for the girl. Each of you highlight the names you like. Then, look and see which names you BOTH highlighted. How may be surprised at the names you agree on.
  • Options

I agree, make separate lists and then you may find that there are some that you both like. also, maybe look into both of your families, is there someone whose name you like that you may want to honor by naming your child after them?

My DH and I also don't agree on many names, so you may find that you both might have to choose a name that isn't your absolute favorite, but a name that you do like nonetheless.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was in your boat.  My DH came up with the WORST name suggestions.  I decided to stop talking about it & just cry after I gave birth if I had to.  My first was born super fast & DH was totally freaked out about the whole thing so a few minutes after she was born I say "Honey, she needs a name" and he said "Name her whatever you want" LOL.  So I did.  Actually the second time around, we found out we were having another girl (the only name we completely agreed on ever was a boys name).  We hardly discussed it the entire pg.  I kept a list of names that I liked & told him he was welcome to add to or subtract from it but when the baby was born, she was getting a name off that list.  He did know my frontrunner.  So I sprung on him when I was 8cm dilated that I wanted that name soooo bad.  He agreed.  Honestly, just let it go for now & when baby is born it will become much clearer.  Or you'll cry & get your way :)  fwiw, we get compliments on our girls' names all the time and he LOVES them- he just needed a little "help" from me because he sucked at naming!!
  • Options

imageilovemygirls:
    I was in your boat.  My DH came up with the WORST name suggestions.  I decided to stop talking about it & just cry after I gave birth if I had to.  My first was born super fast & DH was totally freaked out about the whole thing so a few minutes after she was born I say "Honey, she needs a name" and he said "Name her whatever you want" LOL.  So I did.  Actually the second time around, we found out we were having another girl (the only name we completely agreed on ever was a boys name).  We hardly discussed it the entire pg.  I kept a list of names that I liked & told him he was welcome to add to or subtract from it but when the baby was born, she was getting a name off that list.  He did know my frontrunner.  So I sprung on him when I was 8cm dilated that I wanted that name soooo bad.  He agreed.  Honestly, just let it go for now & when baby is born it will become much clearer.  Or you'll cry & get your way :)  fwiw, we get compliments on our girls' names all the time and he LOVES them- he just needed a little "help" from me because he sucked at naming!!

btw, when I re-read my post I sound like a total wench.  I swear, I'm not!  But let me just tell you that two of his name suggestions were Tammy (not inherently terrible but it's not 1970 you know?) and Mickey (yes, for a girl).  We laugh about the whole thing now, but it was stressful at the time!! 

• Options
    imageilovemygirls:

imageilovemygirls:

btw, when I re-read my post I sound like a total wench.  I swear, I'm not!  But let me just tell you that two of his name suggestions were Tammy (not inherently terrible but it's not 1970 you know?) and Mickey (yes, for a girl).  We laugh about the whole thing now, but it was stressful at the time!! 

... You mean, you're not gonna tell us your girls' names?! Huh?

• Options

DH and I agreed on ONE name for a girl and two for a boy and it was like pulling teeth with him to talk about it... just keep throwing names out there and try and compromise FWIW I totally think since its coming out of you that you get final say IF he doesnt come up with at least SOMETHING that he likes!

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You need to compromise. Both parents should like a name. I was disappointed when H hated the name I have loved for years, but I realized it was his child too and could not let him hate his name. So we searched for one we both liked. 

Since naming our son the compromised name - I have grown to love it and can not picture my son with any other name!  

We printed out a list of 1000 names from the SS website and started crossing off ones we both hated. Then looked over the list to see if we had any common likes. From there we narrowed it down further and tried names on for bit to see if it went well with our last name.  

Naming a child is just the first battle you will have as parents. Do not manipulate to get your way - what will that serve? More manipulation when it comes time to decide on daycares or schools?  Kind of childish if you ask me! 

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options
    Make lists of names that you both LOVE.  Then look at each others names and decide on ones that you LIKE.  That will narrow the list down and you can eventually get it down to 1 or 2 names :) Then see what baby looks like.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageilovemygirls:
    Big Smilelol!  
  • Options

imageilovemygirls:

LoL! I may have to use this. DH and I cannot agree on any names. Plus we aren't finding out the sex, so we will have to come up with 2 names that we both agree on.  

• Options

We're in the exact same boat, x2 since we're having twins!  We actually got into an argument the other day, because I was so upset that we hadn't come up with anything yet.  We're scheduled for a c-section on July 12th, and I still call my girls "little beans"...... Tongue Tied

Wish I could help!  Just letting you know you're not alone.

• Options

Just wait until you see her, spend time with her and then determine a name. I believe you have 30 days before you can document a name.

• Options
    How is this post being linked on the front page as "what names make you want to barf"?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"