Adoption
Options

Update

We came home yesterday!

My MIL came down yesterday to help.  Technically, I was supposed to be in the nursery at all times because I was the only banded person and I could have one visitor.  But the night nursing staff was so much nicer, so they let us take shifts with my MIL.

The doctor came in the following morning and agreed to release us.  He asked me to follow up with my pedi the next morning.  While I didn't agree with his protocol, I'm extremely thankful that he listed to DH and me about what we wanted.  He was reluctant but ultimately, agreed with us.  He was a bit gloom and doom though, especially at the end when he started down the FAS road.  Nice note to leave on.

The nurse I had an issue with is another story.  She was in the morning we got released and she shot me dirty looks the whole morning.  She made the whole room tense.  I know she said some not nice things about me too during the nurse shift change, because one of the other nurses started ignoring us too.  I will be contacting the hospital admin about her behavior, because I've never felt so uncomfortable or like a bad person for advocating for my son.  She was about 30 weeks pregnant and I wanted to ask her how she would feel if this was her child.

Honestly though, we were extremely respectful.  Just because I question how you do things or suggested treatments doesn't make me a bad person/mother.

We went to our own pedi today who said that C was great.  Honestly, great.  When I questioned all of the "symptoms," he said that they are all things babies do.  He is healthy, and the extent of his w/d is tremors.  He's not fussy (except when he's hungry or has a dirty diaper).  He's alert, snuggly and an all around good baby.  When I asked about the phenabarbitol treatment they pressed, he just kind of brushed it off and agreed that they treat a different kind of patient typically.  And he has handled lots of methadone exposed babies.

I appreciate all of your support.  We're so happy to be home.

And let me know where to send the cookies and cocktails :) 

Re: Update

• Options

So happy that you are finally home!  I'm glad you were able to convince the doctor to agree with you.  I think we all kind of do that thing where we are given certain info (like this baby has had drug exposure), and we see things that aren't really there.  Glad to hear your new pedi agrees that your new son is perfectly healthy!  Enjoy your bonding inside the comfort of your own home!

Congratulations again!

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    I am glad your hospital troubles are over. the spiteful side of me would want ot rub it in the hospitals face that he is fine. but thats something that does not good just something i would love to do but would never bring myself to do. enjoy your son congrats.
    Proud Momma of our daughter Charlie! She found her forever home August 2010 Hope to be the proud momma of #2 in July
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SO glad!!!  Enjoy the snuggles!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We ran into lots of hospital staff during our 5 day stay that were blatantly rude to us and a few of them made anti-adoption remarks to us/about us.

I would bet good money that the nurse's attitude toward you all involved the fact that this was an adoption.

So glad your baby is home and safe.

• Options

As a nurse, please give your hospital feedback. Unfortunately not all hospitals have "kept up with the times" with diverse populations with diverse needs. Hospitals need to know that their staff was not professional.

On a brighter note, congratulations on the baby!!! Enjoy your time with C.Drinks

• Options

fantastic! ?I am happy to read you guys are done with the hospital. ?When you have time, make sure to follow up with the administration about how the staff handled your family. ?Maybe next time they will have greater respect for concerned parents/adoptive families (whatever set that nurse off).

:)?

Left, Right
  • Options

I'm thrilled to hear you are out of there and have had a great appt with your pedi!  I hope you get to settle in and enjoy your new son!  Congrats!!

TTC #1 since 12/07 SA 9/08=borderline normal HSG 1/09 found R tube blocked Multiple IUIs both with oral and injectible drugs from 2/09-2/11 Started domestic adoption process in 5/10, homestudy complete 9/10 Failed adoption after home with baby for 2 weeks 11/10 Blessed through the miracle of private adoption with a son, born 6/6/11 (his grandma's bday) 7lbs 9oz 20.5 inches long! So worth the wait!
  • Options

Congrats on all of it! Enjoy your snuggles.

I will repeat what everyone else has said...but will say don't let time pass before filing a complaint with the admin. They need to know exactly how you feel at this moment, not a month from now. I know this could be difficult with a newborn but still try to do it now rather than later. I think you should bring up the nurse AND the doctor, even though the doctor ended up releasing you, they should still know about him trying to force you to do something you weren't comfortable with.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so happy you are home.  Now, the fun really begins. You have that little one all to yourself and don't have to worry about those rude nurses anymore.  It's just fun, fun, fun, with your baby now, mommy!  I'm glad everything went well at the pedi's office.  I know that was a big relief.  Just to let you know that Ben was exposed to meth, marijuana, alcohol, and cigarettes at some points during the pregnancy and he's fine and super smart.  Kids can overcome a lot of things with the proper love and support they get from home. Can't wait to see pictures.
  • Options
    I'm happy you are finally home. Please do contact the admin. I worked n the nicu in our hospital and know that they would have wanted to know about stuff like that!
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options
    I missed this when it was first posted -- just wanted to say congratulations and I'm so glad that you are all home now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"