Babies: 0 - 3 Months

are formula fed babies smart and healthy?

Of course, this post says it that I feel horribly guilty of formula feeding my baby.

I know, I am feeding her, keeping her warm and secure, but I feel really bad about taking BM advantages away from her.

I try and look up support for this, but everything I read makes me believe she will have obesity, will be dumber, and have more diseases than other breastmilk fed people out there.

Does anyone know of smart, healthy and successful people who were formula fed?

I want to believe that genes, healthy eating choices as a family, exercise and good education will play a part in shaping her as an adult, but right now it seems like BM was the only one thing that would have made her healthy and smart.

I guess I am just looking for some success stories about people who were FF.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: are formula fed babies smart and healthy?

• My sisters and myself were all FF and we are all healthy, smart, and happy adults.
  • Um...me?  I could read short words at 18 months and was reading complete books by the time I was four.  I was always in high level/AP classes in school and graduated college *** laude.  I think a lot of it has to do with your family and upbringing so as long as you are a supportive and loving parent, your LO will do fine.

EDA: Ha!  Honors in latin was edited by the bump!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH and his sis were FF.  He has a six pack and I like to think I didn't marry a dummy
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePeans:
    My sisters and myself were all FF and we are all healthy, smart, and happy adults.

This - and my brother has a photographic memory.   

• I was fed formula.  I knew how to read at age 3.5 and spent two weeks in first grade before being skipped to second. 

• Please don't worry. Your baby will be fine.  I have a 10 1/2 month old who I never breastfed and he is thriving.  Meeting all his milestones on time (or ahead of schedule).  Happy, lovable, SMART baby.

I was formula fed and am a teacher with a masters degree.  My husband is a math professor with a PHD and was formula fed as well.

• lol...don't worry. :)

I EBF my baby, but I was formula fed. And I was valedictorian of my graduating class. :) No worries momma!
  • I was premature, so I was formula fed. I am never sick, I have always been a healthy weight ( pre-pregnancy anyway). My IQ puts me 5 points shy of qualifying for Mensa. I graduated college with honors. Not to brag, but I am healthier, in better shape and (on paper) smarter than my husband, who was breastfed. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for making the right decision for you and your baby. Both my mom and dad were formula fed as well. My dad is literally a rocket scientist and my mom is a nurse.
  • I know a ton of FF babies who are perfectly competent and smart and healthy. My twins are FF as well.

I was FF and I like to think I am smart. I am at the top of my class and I am going to law school. My DH and all his brothers and sister were FF. Nate's a doctor, Ben and Abby are lawyers, Charlotte is an accountant, John is a financial analyst, and Will is doing his MBA. Oh and we are in all pretty decent shape. Nate has a six-pack and I was very fit before pregnancy.

• skmac05skmac05 member
    Do you seriously believe that every smart healthy person out there was breast fed and everyone else was formula fed. Nothing in life is that clear cut.
  • I was formula fed & I graduated from college Summa *** Laude & carried a 4.0 in graduate school.  I started reading before Kindergarten and was always very outgoing & happy.  Also, I'm very healthy and relatively skinny.  Ok, this sounds like a "Yeah, Me!" reply, but you get the idea!  FF people are healthy & successful, too!
  • I was FF and I am an attorney, graduated 1st in my class!  And I'm not overweight (well, I am right now, but I mean normally when I haven't just had a baby)! Don't worry mama, you are doing what is best for YOU and YOUR baby, all will be fine!
  • I was formula fed and so were both my sisters.  Two of us have Masters degrees and one is in medical school.  I like to think we have all become productive members of society. 

As for health problems, I have no allergies and am never sick.  My sister's health problems are not at all related to breast-feeding (problems from birth), and my other sister only has mild allergies.  We are all a healthy weight, but we maintain a healthy lifestyle. 

I really think genes and lifestyle are more influential than FF or BF.  My DH was BF and he is constantly sick, has allergies, and struggles to maintain his weight.  His sister is severely overweight and also has a ton of food allergies.  Not to be mean, but I also don't think she is the most intelligent person on earth.

• imageskmac05:
    Do you seriously believe that every smart healthy person out there was breast fed and everyone else was formula fed. Nothing in life is that clear cut.

THIS! Yes

• I have been struggling with the same thing! I have to constantly remind myself that I was breastfed and my sister was formula fed. I just got my masters degree in clinical psych and she is finishing her first year of pharmacy school...so we are both smart cookies. In addition, out of the two of us, I was the one who struggled with obesity so breastfeeding didn't protect me from that! It makes me feel better about supplementing my LO with formula
  • I'm smart! I'm healthy. Never had an issue. Went to grad school. Me and all 3 of my siblings were all formula fed (in the 70s when the formula was suposedly not nearly as good). My DH is a Dr and he and and his sister were both formula fed. Most of that generation was FF
  • Of course there are smart healthy people who were formula fed, but all statistics show that formula raises the risks of a number of issues. Breastfeeding never has.

• Don't worry there are plenty of other things to eff up your kid.  FF isn't that big of deal. 
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • My son was FF and he is brilliant!! He could speak sentences at 18 months and now at 2.5 he can count to 20, say his abc's and have a full on conversation with us!( which most kids his age can't do) I don't think breast milk makes you smarter then formula fed babies! Formula isn't going to make your baby dumb..don't worry!
  • imagemela-sha:

Me.  I have a high IQ, always did well in school and at work, and my health issues have been minimal and genetic (gall stones from Dad's side of the family and bad eyesight from Mom's side of the family).  And formula has gotten better since the early 70's.

I was only able to give my DS breastmilk for his first two weeks.  He's now on formula and I don't feel bad at all.  I did my best and it didn't work out due to circumstances beyond my control.  DS is well-fed and doing great.  I have no doubt he will reach his full potential.

• imagemela-sha:

Oh dear. It's like society goes from one extreme to another! Yes, BFing is "best" but that doesn't mean FFing is the devil and that you're child is going to be dumb. How you raise your child; how you interact with them and love them - THAT'S what matters most. You do what's best for your family and that will set the stage for your child's life.

• imagemela-sha:

Itry and look up support for this, but everything I read makes me believe she will have obesity, will be dumber, and have more diseases than other breastmilk fed people out there.

And WTH are you reading?!

• imagenorthhillsbride:
    imagemela-sha:

Itry and look up support for this, but everything I read makes me believe she will have obesity, will be dumber, and have more diseases than other breastmilk fed people out there.

• My sisters and I were all FF and I would like to think other than all being tiny and skinny that we are also quite intelligent ladies. It's a little sad that you think formula will have that heavy of an impact on your child because as far as having a healthy fit child who is also smart you are the biggest impact on those aspects of your child.
  • imageJessgran:
    imagenorthhillsbride:
    imagemela-sha:

Seriously!!! I'm so sick of hearing this crap. I was formula fed, am not obese, am college educated, and have no diseases. I am PROUDLY formula feeding my son, and it's not because I had problems with BF. I CHOSE not to for my own personal reasons, just as people choose not to FF or to supplement.

• Harms80Harms80 member

Please don't beat yourself up.  I was FF and I grad high school with a 3.9, grad undergrad with honors and 3.5, got my masters in a year, and rarely get sick.  I love my parents, siblings, and found a wonderful man to marry.  (Wow, I've never tooted my own horn so much!)  I have a very healthy BMI.  I turned out just fine. 

I support you FF your baby.  You are a good mommy!!!

• Thanks ladies, you have made me feel better than I have in days since DD's birth.

I looked up online and of course all stats favor breast milk.

And everyone of my family and friends is breast fed and I really did not know people who were formula fed and were OK..

I know it does not sound very intelligent of me, but blame it on hormones. LOL.

All i could think was negative about myself and my decision to FF.

I feel really really bad because I could have chosen to breast feed but I did not try hard enough.  I had issues with late supply (day 6), and got painful anal fissures.  I am sure those are no big deal as everyone goes through such issues but still breast feed.  I was also abused as a chilld and have horrible feelings regarding my breasts.  I hate anyone touching them, including DH.  I guess reminding myself of all this is just to make myself feel better, but in reality I could have breast fed if I could have just sucked it up and  concentrated on DD.  However, it was too physically and emotionally traumatizing for me to breast feed at that time.

I am glad now I know of so many people who are fine with FF.  

Thanks a lot!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Don't feel guilty...I think a lot of people in the 70s were formula fed...and are a-okay.  you have to do what is best for YOU and your baby....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not going to be snarky, but it seems you don't quite understand how statistics work.

Yes, statistically, BM is better for babies. That is true. But that doesn't mean that ALL babies who are FF are fatter, dumber, and have more allergies.

Forumula isn't bad for babies. Stop being so hard on yourself!

Heck, I was FF and I think I'm pretty smart, rather trim, and don't have any allergies.

• All 3 of us were formula fed....my mom will tell you straight up that she was not comfortable with the idea of breastfeeding.

I'm a scientist, my sister is a psychologist, and my brother is a dentist.  I think we all turned out ok in the intelligence department, and we all 3 are very active and healthy as  horses.  In fact, we don't live in the same city but we still all get together once a year to do a 5K together.  No worries!  Your baby will be fine :)

• Your LO will be fine.  My husbad and I were both FF, my mother smoked during her pregnancy, his mother drank during hers, and we both have very successful careers, live happy lives, and actually do have IQs that qualify for Mensa.  Feed your child formula, and raise him/her in an enriching, loving and stimulating environment - that's what counts.

imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"