2nd Trimester
Options

Difference between normal discharge and amniotic fluid?

So a post by a bumpie earlier had me wondering...how can you tell the difference between normal discharge and an amniotic fluid leak? My cousin said there is no way to tell unless you go to your dr. I know that alot of discharge is really normal but what if you are actually leaking and don't know it? Are there any other signs ie: cramping? Just curious! Thanks!
'All I want for you my son, is to be satisfied' imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Difference between normal discharge and amniotic fluid?

• Options
    AzraylaAzrayla member

Normal discharge tends to be a little thick (well thicker than water, not THAT thick) and white ish..

I have read that amniotic fluid will smell "sweet" and is a very watery like consistency and should have no color?

Not sure on the signs of it..but I think if you leak enough to fill a pad, thats a sign to worry.

• Options
    you might be referring to my post :)  the only thing i've read is that it has little to no odor (which is how you determine urine from fluid) but someone on the pal board said that she has had watery cm the entire time and everything is fine.....so i guess you might not know?  I mean, maybe watery cm is just normal for some people?  this pregnancy thing is stressful!
    1 chemical and 1 loss at 9 weeks prior to DS
    IVF #1 1/10-transfered 2 blasts- DS born 10/2010

Trying for # 2 since 2012.  2 failed FETS 1 failed IUI.
    IUI#2 4/14/14-- BFP !!!!! Beta #1 14dpiui= 45 Beta #2 16dpiui= 80  Beta #3 18dpiui= 88 (chemical pregnancy)
    March 2015- Chemical pg

1/25/16- BFP  Beta1 12dpo = 17, Beta 2 14 dpo = 28.. resulted in one beautiful boy born 9/21/16 :)

Now I'm a stay at home loving life and pursuing my love of photography!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

CM is thicker than amniotic fluid like the pp said.  Also amniotic fluid doesn't really have a smell. 

I remember when I was in the 3rd tri before, just about one person a night would go into the ER thinking their water had broken only to be sent home hours later with a huge bill for wetting their pants.   It happens!!

Don't worry about leaking amniotic fluid.  The chances of it happening are slim to none.  By the time you have to worry about your water breaking, you'll be going to the OB every week to be checked for progress anyway.  They'll keep an eye out if there's anything to worry about.  Smile

• Options
    imageAzrayla:

Normal discharge tends to be a little thick (well thicker than water, not THAT thick) and white ish..

I have read that amniotic fluid will smell "sweet" and is a very watery like consistency and should have no color?

Not sure on the signs of it..but I think if you leak enough to fill a pad, thats a sign to worry.

I actually went to the ER for this. One day I had noticed ALOT more moisture than what I usually experience. I, too, heard that Amniotic fluid smells sweet from fellow bumpies. Once in L&D they told me that Amniotic fluid does not smell sweet.. what smells sweet is the sign of a yeast infection! AF smells more like a fishy smell. And it's so unlikely that you will leak AF fluid.. they did a swab test overall that took 10 minutes and found out it was normal vaginal fluids! :) Take care
  • Options
    ksuper1ksuper1 member
    Sorry to butt in but I thought I could help since it happened to me!  When I leaked amniotic fluid it looked like water to me.  It wasn't a full breakage of water until later, but when I woke that morning I noticed a wet spot in my underwear and shorts and could easily tell that is was not discharge.  I first called my OB and asked to speak to the nurse, and then they decided for me to come in to check just in case.  Turns out in my case I was 3 cm dialated at 27 weeks!  But I could definitely tell the difference...if you ever have a question though...just call and ask for a nurse at your OB...they will help you out!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"