High-Risk Pregnancy

Intro and in need of support

Well, its official.  I have GD.  I attended the nutrition class and got my gluco-meter today.  I am happy to make some real lifestyle changes to my regular sugar and carb filled diet, but I have to admit I am terrified of what this could mean for my future and of course my baby's health.

My question is, and I will definitely ask this when I talk my my doctor on Tuesday, is this GD or Type 2?  I mean, I am barely 6 weeks pg, and it seems odd to call this GD so early in the game.

Thanks for any support.  I don't post a ton, but I do lurk quite a bit.  Good luck to everyone!

Re: Intro and in need of support

• I've heard that if you test positive for GD that early that its possible for it to be type 2(you had it before you got pg) but I'm not a doctor so who knows . Did you have it with a previous pg? Is that why they tested you so early? As far as the health of your baby I'll tell you what my doctors told me..As long as your GD is well controled and your being monitored the way you should be then the risk is low. The diet is easy once you get the hang of it. Also on the plus side of it I probably would have gained a ton of weight but because of having to eat healthy I've only gained 10lbs this entire pg. Good luck!
  • I started my GD treatment at 8 weeks with this PG after monitoring my blood sugar for a weekend and the OB was thinking I never got over it with my daughter and developed Type 2.  However, I went through medical records and found I passed my 2 hour GTT with flying colors.  I have also found that the blood glucose numbers the OBs want are more strict then what an endocrinologist would define as Type 2 (at least for me). The plus size to being monitored at an ealry stage is that they mostly want to see if you can get your numbers under control before the hormones that affect insulin resistance really take over in the middle of your 2nd trimester. In addition, this strict diet also limits the weight you gain as well. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure about the GD vs. Type 2 thing.  As I was diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks.  The only thing my doctor told me was that I am now a higher risk to develop diabetes later in life.  But, my dad and paternal gramma have it, so I figured that was in my cards anyway.

But, we're here when you need support.  Personally, I've found immense support and uplifting words from these wonderful ladies.  Sometimes I want to yank my hair out and scream, and they keep me pretty sane.  :)

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemristine6:
    I've heard that if you test positive for GD that early that its possible for it to be type 2(you had it before you got pg) but I'm not a doctor so who knows . Did you have it with a previous pg? Is that why they tested you so early? As far as the health of your baby I'll tell you what my doctors told me..As long as your GD is well controled and your being monitored the way you should be then the risk is low. The diet is easy once you get the hang of it. Also on the plus side of it I probably would have gained a ton of weight but because of having to eat healthy I've only gained 10lbs this entire pg. Good luck!

only 10lbs??? wow!!

• I am GD as well at only 18 weeks (found out about two weeks ago).  So far I have been able to manage it on controlling my diet and with 2 insulin shots a day.  For me they gave me a blood test to see my A1C results.  This measures basically your blood sugars over time.  If they are under 6 I think then its GD.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk or have any questions, especially since we are faily close in gestation and have a similar issue.

Lucy
    Little Lucy Bird Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Why did you test so early?  I know I tested early (around 17 weeks) because I kept feeling crummy and saying "I feel like I've eaten an entire bag of candy".  So I asked to test.  I also have a family history of GD.

Anyhow I don't know what makes the determination, but I would guess that they will call it GD until the pregnancy is over and your are checked without the hormones.  If you still have it post partum, it will be upgraded to type II.

The good news is everything I understand tells me that the rules for any type of diabetes during pregnancy are more strict than that are when you are not pregnant.  So if you can manage now, then if it is type II, you should be golden after pregnancy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetaylorsue00:

imagemristine6:
    I've heard that if you test positive for GD that early that its possible for it to be type 2(you had it before you got pg) but I'm not a doctor so who knows . Did you have it with a previous pg? Is that why they tested you so early? As far as the health of your baby I'll tell you what my doctors told me..As long as your GD is well controled and your being monitored the way you should be then the risk is low. The diet is easy once you get the hang of it. Also on the plus side of it I probably would have gained a ton of weight but because of having to eat healthy I've only gained 10lbs this entire pg. Good luck!

only 10lbs??? wow!!

I was up 20. I lost 10 from the diet and my weight has stayed the same for a while now. 

• I was diagnosed at 12 weeks.  They tested me early because of my bmi (I'm a sz 18).  At first it felt like a witch hunt, but now I'm getting used to it and coming to terms with the diagnosis.  The nutritionist has been nice, but I haven't felt comfortable with some of her information.  It was only when I spoke to my OB that I started feeling better.  I was told that I could have been pre-diabetes, but that this is GD not type 2.  So far I've lost at least 10lbs (I'll know the exact on Wednesday).  I know I will be going on meds this week because I just can't get my fasting number under control, no matter how hard I try!  I've done a lot of lurking on this board and there is a lot of helpful info out there, which has also helped me come to terms with this!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was diagnosed at 10 weeks. Since I was initially going to a midwife and had a family history they tested me. I'm not sure about this being type 2 but my doc said it may be since I was diagnosed so early. I guess I will have to wait and see after I deliver. Since they caught this early breath a sigh of relieve. Now you can get on track and have a healty baby come delivery. As long as you keep your sugar levels under control.

The up side to all this besides getting healthy and not gaining a ton of weight is you will be able to see LO more often as they check for the development in the womb. The diet isn't that bad. You just need to figure out what your body can and can't handle. Then as you get the hang of it you can have the occasional treat and you know how your body will handle it.

We have all been frustrated with our numbers and this will happen to you too. Just remember stress will make your numbers go up. Also keep hydrated because this will also affect you numbers. We are all supportive here so feel free to ask as many questions. Even though some of us are nearing the end I'm sure we still come around and help out the new GD mommas. I know I will! GL with everything!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"