Toddlers: 24 Months+

From 0-3 re: flat head syndrome

Hi girls! I was hoping you guys could be my window to the future. My little guy is starting to get a bit of a flat head (kind of lumpy actually) and I've been looking into some options to help fix the problem. My pedi has told me to increase tummy time and keep him off his back as much as I can during the day, which I am doing. The problem is that he sleeps around 16 hours a day, so that's still a lot of time he's on his back.

Anyway, his head is getting flat. Did any of your LO's have flat heads? Did it resolve itself or does the hair hide it now? Or what did you have to do to fix it? Thank you, thank you, thank you ladies, for any insight!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: From 0-3 re: flat head syndrome

• There are different levels of plagiocephaly (flat head).  Most kids fix the problem themselves once they can sit up.  However, a very small amount have to wear a special helmet designed to allow the head to even out.

Basically, what happens is that the skull doesn't grow- the brain pushes it out.  The brain will take the easiest path so if the baby is lying a lot in one spot, the brain can't push in that direction and it will become flat.  The doctor was right to say keep them off the same spot.  Just turn their head as they sleep so they're not in one position all the time. 

My son had a pretty bad flat spot and we were very close to getting the helmet.  I got lucky and his head started evening out just as we made the decision about the helmet.  My friend's daughter had to wear one.  It's not fun but kids adapt to things so easily and she did great in it.  You would never know she had a problem now- she has a perfectly shaped head!

The doctor I went to was great at explaining everything.  He also said that as parents, we want the quick fix (the helmet) but mother nature eventually works out everything on her own.  He said as proof of that- you never see adults walking around with flat heads! 

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• My older son had this.  I started to really notice it around 3 months.  One side was considerably flatter.  The pedi had us increase tummy time.  He HATED it but we just had to tough it out and go for it.  They also had us turn him in his crib the opposite way from how he normally slept (head where his feet used to be) in the hopes he would turn his head in the opposite direction and not put so much pressure on the flatter spot.  These things did all help us but I noticed the biggest change when he could finally site unassisted and it finally got a thousand times better.  He is two now and you would never know the difference.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • ds didnt have a flat head.
    when he slept i put him slightly on his side and rotated every time he went to sleep to prevent the back of his head from getting flat...
    hth and gl
  • My DS's head is still pretty flat. When he was 9 months old I had to see a substitute pedi for his well visit and he encouraged me to get a helmet for him. When I went back, his regular pedi said she actually didn't recommend it because she felt it was genetic and a helmet wouldn't really help. He was pretty delayed for motor skills and she also felt this would delay him even more. Now looking back, I wish I would have at least given the helmet a shot. His head is quite flat on the back, but on the other hand, it looks EXACTLY like the shape of FIL's head.

• Pedi noticed DD's somewhat flat head at 4 month check up. We went to have it evaluated and she was borderline. They recommended "repositioning therapy" - alternating the way DD was placed to sleep and on changing table (we even ended up using a sleep positioner/rolled up blankets to prop her on her left side to sleep), used the Boppy Noggin Nest when DD was in swing and in bouncer (especially at daycare - I was INSISTENT on it), and more tummy time (DD hated tummy time - but we got a new mat that propped her up a bit more on a pillow and gave her things to look at and she liked that better). Went back at 6 months and her head had grown pefectly evenly and she didn't need a helmet.

I definitely recommend repositioning therapy - worked for us!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I know it sounds horrible, but my niece had a flat side on her head and had to wear a helmet for about six months. She's nearly 3 now and you can't even tell. It really helped her.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Another option that will help somewhat is to get him off his head entirely by wearing him for a stretch during the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"