Maryland Babies
Options

Anyone Going to Work from Home after delivery?

I was just wondering if anyone was going to work from home after your baby is born or currently works from home.  I really want to be a stay at home mom however financially we can't afford it.  I've seen some work from home advertisements but they all seem to be scams.  Does anyone know of a credible and decent paying opportunity?  My current job frowns upon people working from home.

Re: Anyone Going to Work from Home after delivery?

• Options

I considered it, butfrom what I have read, it's very difficult to get a WAH job if you haven't already worked for the company. I have also heard people having trouble getting work done because their baby is there. I know I have trouble cleaning the house cause all I want to do is play.

I waitress/bartend 3 shifts a week and make enough to allow me to be a mostly SAHM. We also don't have to pay for daycare and if you tack the cost of daycare onto  what I make I make about the same or a little more than the ft job I had before I had DS. Just something to think about.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't work from home, but 2 years ago I had a job where about half the work was done at home.  I did not have an office outside of the house.  I would spend about half my time traveling around the DC area then the other half at home working from my lap top.  In my experience it was awful, when you work from home work is always there, there isn't that separation of work vs. home.  When I leave my office now, I am done with work, home is the place I go to, to relax and spend time with family. I absolutely HATED my old job because even when I wasn't working, all of my work stuff was sitting there reminding me that I always had stuff to do.  Plus it really isn't easy to find work you can do from home, if it was there would be a lot more mom's that would be doing it.  Plus like Lisa said, if you didn't have someone come in and help watch your LO for a few hours it would be very hard to actually get work done.  Just a few thoughts, but good luck!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DH and I also want to do similar to what Lisa and Mickey are. I will stay home and take care of the baby and serve 3-4 shifts a week. I may take another child later on down the road if I decide to stay home for longer than the 9-12 months I plan on.

We figure I bring home about $2500 after taxes/deductions. Daycare + diapers+ other necessities= $1500 (at least)...I can certainly make up the approx $1000 difference in a few serving shifts a month and I'll get to stay home. We're making big sacrifices with not getting a new car and cutting back the cable, etc. but I think it will be worth it in the end.

My aunt works at home and completely shuts the kids out of the computer room, she is constantly on video conference and conference calls. It's never really a situation where you can watch the kid and work at the same time, it's typically one or the other.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    When my first DS was born I negotiated working from home. I had him with me for a year and it was not easy. I had to work around him, or work and entertain him at the same time. If I had a conference call I had to make sure he was either napping or occupied so I could get through the call. I also found myself working late at night after he went down if I did not get things done during the day. After a year we decided to put him in daycare, and then with DS 2 they were both in daycare. I did enjoy working from home (I have a different job now), but I would not do it again if I had the kids home with me. For me, there was no way to give my full attention to my boys and to my job.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with everyone that it's hard to find something from home. I tried for years to find something, and, like you, I felt everything was a scam. Have you thought about doing one of those consultant type things like Pampered Chef or Tastefully Simple? My friend is a rep for Tastefully Simple and loves it. She loves being able to make her own hours and the money isn't too bad either!
    Jen, mom to Evan-6yrs and Ella-20 months
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"