Baby Names
Options

Names with nicknames

I love the name Harrison but I do not like the nickname Harry. Would you avoid a name because of the potential nicknames. There's nothing wrong with Harry, it's fine name I just hate it. But I love the name Harrison.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Names with nicknames

• Options
    I think people will call him by whatever you call him or he introduces himself as. I don't think people will automatically shorten Harrison to Harry.
  • Options
    I love the name Harrison, too!  yeah you have to consider the nicknames, even if you don't call him Harry.. at some point somebody is bound to shorten it.. so if it will bother you down the line maybe avoid it..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know a Harrison and no one calls him Harry because he doesn't call himself Harry.  I know a couple of Jonathans that successfully avoid being called Jon.  My brother is Michael, not Mike.  I don't think avoiding nicknames is hard if the parents and the person don't use the nickname.
  • Options
    imagefeffy11:

If you really don't like it, insist on Harrison, but be aware that he may end up preferring Harry at some point in his life, and end up going by it. FWIW, I think Sawyer and Harrison sound great

I agree!

When it all comes down to it though, we decided to not use one of my favorite names for this very reason. I love the name Patrick, but I really can't stand the nn Pat for a boy, so we didn't end up using it for DS2. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Options
    We have a Harrison at Makenna's daycare and he goes by Harrison, nothing else.
  • Options

If he wants to shorten it, there's always Harris, which is way better IMO.

We thought about this name b/c it's a family surname  but figured LO would be hairy (based on DH and DS), and so we wanted to avoid "Harry."

It was a good call. My baby is 5 months old and has a mustache. Seriously.

• Options
    I know an adult named Harrison and no one calls him Harry!  In fact, I never even thought about that as a possiblity until you just said it.  He introduces himself as Harrison and that is what everyone calls him.  My name is Lyndsey, no one has EVER called me Lynn just because it is a similar, shorter name,
  • Options
    Harrison is super popular where I live and all the Harrisons I know (four) go by Harry.  I think it's a real risk so if you hate the name Harry, I wouldn't go there.  You don't always have control over what your child likes or what people call him and I think Harry is a distinct possibility. 
  • Options
    I knew a Harrison who preferred to go by Harris rather than Harry.
  • Options
    I agree that others will take your lead and call him Harrison.  I'm Jessica and I HATE the nn Jesse.  Growing up a lot of people tried to give me this nn, but I just let them know I didn't like it, so it never stuck.  To this day I'm Jessica or Jess and that's it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My husband and I have the same issue with "James".  We both love the name for a boy but I'm afraid everyone will call him "Jim", which neither of us are a fan of.  My DH insists though that if he simply insists his name is James it won't be an issue.  I tend to think people just assume too much though and will tend to call him Jim.

Contrary to my point though I do work with a Harrison and no one calls him Harry :-)

GL!

• Options

i dont see the uproar over nicknames.  (i actually hate when people name kids with the intent on calling them something else)..

if you name him harrison and call him harrison, more that likely he will only go by harrison. 

p.s, my hubby's middle name is harrison and he's a jr, so if i have a son he will be the 3rd.. needless to say, i love the name harrison :)   (i hate harry too though)

• Options
    apc1929apc1929 member

We really loved the name Donovan for a boy but so many people kept telling us he would be called Donny (which we really disliked)  I don't know tho-- I mena I know a few Christians that aren't ever called Chris for example...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"