Pre-School and Daycare

First preschool tour and shift question

Today we took DS for a tour of one of our top preschool choices. The kids were outside having playtime and he joined right in. When we went in to talk about price and enrollment, he stayed outside. When the class came in he sat with them and waited for his turn to was his hands and then sat at a table and began playing with blocks. When DH and I went over to tell him it was time to leave, he really did not want to go.

It makes me happy that this adjustment will go smoothly for him. Not so much for me. I'm so used to being home with him.

I recently took the state boards to get my nursing license, I am just waiting for the results now. I have a job lined up for full time M-F 8am-5pm, no weekends or holidays. But part of me wants to look for something that is 3pm-11pm, only fall back is I will have to work rotating weekends and holidays.

If you ladies had a choice, which would you choose? I really cannot decide! Just the thought of missing out on so much is bumming me outSad

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First preschool tour and shift question

• When does your DH work? If he works a typical 9-5 job then a 3-11 shift means you wouldn't really see him. I know I couldn't handle that. I would do the 8-5 one. Your DS will hopefully continue to love preschool and then you will both have the weekends and holidays to enjoy together. GL with whatever you decide!
  • DH works 6:30am-4pm and has every other Friday off, which will be nice because DS will be able to be home with Daddy on those days and picked up from preschool/Grandma's by 4:15.

Not being able to have any time with DH is also something thats keeping me from the 3-11.

I have a few weeks, just trying to get everything planned out ahead of time.

Thank you!

• Loading the player...
  • imageAshleyK08:

Not being able to have any time with DH is also something thats keeping me from the 3-11.

I have a few weeks, just trying to get everything planned out ahead of time.

Thank you!

I think that's smart. DD's daycare is at a hospital so there's a mix of people who work there. I see a few people who have those types of schedules, and I always wonder how they see their spouses. I think you'll appreciate having the 8-5 shift. GL!

• I'm going right now to research daycares at hospitals. That would be WAY better, I could visit him on my lunch breaks. fingers crossed.

• lurking*** as a fellow nurse, who has worked lots of different shifts, my current fav is straight nights. a little rough to get used too, but so much quality time with my babies and the pay is awesome! working some holidays/weekends isn't so bad..having off some during the week lets you do more playgroups and mommy/kid things that you would miss if you work a 9-5 job....just my opinion, but good luck with your choice:)
  • Thank you! Do you work ALL night or just like a 3-11? I am so confused. As soon as I think I've made up my mind, I find a reason to change it.

I'm afraid as a new hire I will be stuck working Halloween, Thanksgiving, Halloween, etc. Plus, missing out on time with DH.

• jlw2505jlw2505 member
    I personally would do a standard M_F 8-5 type of job so you have evenings and weekends at home to be a family - that is assuming your DH works those hours as well though.  Granted, I have a friend who is a nurse who has for years worked PT 3-11pm shift 3 days a week and every other weekend or something like that and she loves it.  Her DH now works a standard work week but he used to work M-F 3-11 as well and they just always made it work out.  I love having that family time and having our weekends and being able to get to weekend things without worring about schedules and all but I think its really personal for every person and every family.  As far as missing thing, I have never felt that I have missed anything with my kids.  I have taken time off and tons of my co-workers have to get to certain school functions from time to time.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"